sward

Overloaded from the factory

Just finished reading the FMCA test on the new 40’ Tiffin Phaeton. Looking at axle weights , test weights, GVWR , actual weight as tested.           
this vehicle is overloaded off the sales lot before a toothbrush is loaded onboard. GAWR on the rear axle is shown as 24,000 . There is not a state in the country that allows more than 20,000 on any single axle or 34,000 on any tandem group. Pair of drives or drive and tag as a group. 
using 20,000lb maximum for the drive and 15,600lb for the steer , maximum weight for this vehicle is 35,600 lb . As tested weight shows as 35,590 it’s within 10 pounds of legal weight allowed in any state. Drive across a set of scales it would get a weight ticket written for 2,060 lbs on the drive axle. This overweight cannot be changed or adjusted, it’s only going to get heavier on the drive axle. 24,000 axle rating does not mean you can legally put more than 20,000 on the ground any single axle. 

On 6/7/2021 at 8:26 PM, sward said:

Just finished reading the FMCA test on the new 40’ Tiffin Phaeton. Looking at axle weights , test weights, GVWR , actual weight as tested.           
this vehicle is overloaded off the sales lot before a toothbrush is loaded onboard. GAWR on the rear axle is shown as 24,000 . There is not a state in the country that allows more than 20,000 on any single axle or 34,000 on any tandem group. Pair of drives or drive and tag as a group. 
using 20,000lb maximum for the drive and 15,600lb for the steer , maximum weight for this vehicle is 35,600 lb . As tested weight shows as 35,590 it’s within 10 pounds of legal weight allowed in any state. Drive across a set of scales it would get a weight ticket written for 2,060 lbs on the drive axle. This overweight cannot be changed or adjusted, it’s only going to get heavier on the drive axle. 24,000 axle rating does not mean you can legally put more than 20,000 on the ground any single axle. 

Welcome to the forum. 

You might want to re visit your sources for that information. It can also Varey by state and by road in the state. 

You might find this interesting reading. https://legalbeagle.com/6081429-dot-weight-regulations.html

Bill

I agree that 20,000#, and 34,000# on tandem axel is legal. But I wonder how often have most RV'ers have been mandatorily weighed?  I used to stop at the weigh stations, but the attendant has always motioned for me to go ahead, and even been told by the attendant that I didn't need to stop in his state.Sorry for the confusion, 34,000# is the total combined weight of  drive and tandem axels.

Edited by kaypsmith

Prior to 1990, no one bothered.  Between the left coast and the EPA, things have gotten worse!  Too many regulations & some overlapping, will cause confusion.

When you read the regulations, one common word popped up COMMERCIAL. Since RV’s do not fall into that category it’s really a moot point. Now if an axle is physically overloaded, that’s a safety issue! Our last coach fell into that category. I drove that like it was stolen for 7 years. All I did was add air bags to all 4 corners and went with a heavier tire load range. Not too much else you can do but enjoy it.