jwseib

Toad suggestions

Looking for suggestions for a toad that can seat 6 (4 adults and 2 teenagers) in reasonable comfort and be towed safely on a Stehl tow dolly.

Have tried a 2008 Honda Odessy.  Was able to get it on the dolly but could not make turns without dolly fenders making contact with vehicle body.

Thanks!

Jim

2003 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage

Edited by jwseib
Added name

Jim, Welcome to the Forum. Have you considered a Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, GMC Yukon or Yukon XL in a four wheel drive all of which may be towed 4 down.

Just a thought,

Herman

I have considered going to a flat tow scenario but, since I already own a dolly, would prefer (if possible) to continue using it.

Body width of the toad is the primary concern regarding using the dolly.  I know the time will come all too soon that grandkids will become too busy and/or will no longer want to travel with us -- which will eliminate the need for increased passenger capacity.  However, for the next five years or so, we need additional seating.

Thanks!

Jim

Central Iowa

Jim, welcome!

The Honda will work...Let son or daughter, drive it.  When your camping, everybody is in it.  Seen it before!

We have considered skipping the toad option and just use the Odessy as a "chase" vehicle -- rotating chase drivers between my daughter, son-in-law and wife.  Might end up doing that but would prefer having everyone traveling together in the MH.

Does anyone have any thoughts about using a Ford Flex as a toad?

Thanks!

Jim

I am really surprised that the Honda Oddesy has a problem with rubbing the fenders on the Stehl Dolly. I used to pull a Stehl, my son inlaw has an Oddesy and never had a problem towing it, He did own 2004, but has upgraded to 2015, both towed well. You can look into locking the swivel plate to less distance to turn and may overcome the rubbing in this manner. Oh yes I might add that we pull a 2015 Kia Sorento, room for six if you have the third seat.

Edited by kaypsmith

Do you flat tow your Kia or do you have another brand of dolly?  If a different dolly, what brand and how wide is it?

Thanks!

I used a Demco Kar Kady SS when I towed a Toyota Avalon. The wheels on the dolly steer and the towed vehicles tread width can be up to 76".

Update regarding my original toad question...

We ended up purchasing a 2008 Chevy Uplander.

Took it on a trip from central Iowa to Mount Rushmore, Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone National Park and Glacier National Park... and back home.

Uplander works well as a toad.

Thanks for all your input!

We have now towed it on a trip from home to Black Hills to Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier National parks and back home.

Then, just a week later, we towed it from home to Myrtle Beach, SC and back. 

It has worked out well.

Jim

On 6/8/2021 at 11:40 AM, jwseib said:

I have considered going to a flat tow scenario but, since I already own a dolly, would prefer (if possible) to continue using it.

Body width of the toad is the primary concern regarding using the dolly.  I know the time will come all too soon that grandkids will become too busy and/or will no longer want to travel with us -- which will eliminate the need for increased passenger capacity.  However, for the next five years or so, we need additional seating.

Thanks!

Jim

Central Iowa

Hi Jim pat here if you haven’t already changed your  vehicle I had the same problem with my Chevy  equinox and what I ended up doing was to move the fenders out as far as I could get the an move the light all the way out. Or you could put them on top of fenders this gave me another foot of turning radius and haven’t had a problem since.

Bought a Lincoln Corsair PHEV 2021 as it is listed as flat towable. However we haven’t been able to find a manufacturer of base plates who can manufacture a base plate for it. Tried Blue Ox and Roadmaster. Any suggestions? Towing it on a trailer or dolly is a problem at the campsite as we have a 41 ft. Motorhome.

thanks! 
steve

2002 Dutch Star