obiwan_canoli

What food do you prepare in advance?

My propensity for preparing foods in advance, and freezing them, fit hand in hand with my relatively new RV lifestyle, but the freezer space available to me is limited, as most well know. So, when I noted a sale on Dometic portable cooling appliances, I pulled the trigger, and purchased a Dual-Zone fridge/freezer combo so I would have more available space to store frozen goods, such as the chili's, soups, and cabbage rolls I like to make in bulk. So far, the positive reviews on this outweigh the negative by a good margin, so I'm hopeful I will have considered this one of my wiser buys...

I'm certain there are others out there who do the same, and I was wondering what your choices might be - I'm looking to instill some variety in my menu above, and hope y'all have a few ideas to share. 

What do you prepare in advance for your trips and adventures? I won't have kids with me, only my Golden Retriever, and he's pretty easy to please, as am I. Whadya got?

We take a few frozen left-overs with us but mainly cook fresh things. We have an Instant Pot, Air Fryer, and Blackstone 22" Griddle. The possibilities are very large with those three appliances. The left overs would be for the one night stops.

When in Pigeon Forge Tn., we stock up on dried soup mixes at the Old Mill. All we add is some link sausage and water. DW puts this on in the crock pot nested in the sink, cooks about 4 hours while traveling down the road. Great to eat at a rest stop. My favorite is corn chowder.

Edited by kaypsmith

5 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

We have an Instant Pot, Air Fryer,

Wayne we invested in an Emeril Lagasse pressure fryer. It is not exactly as named, but is a pressure cooker, with an air fryer lid that replaces the pressure cooker lid. Takes up less room. I noticed on Amazon that the Insta Pot now has an air fryer lid as an add on.

Yes, I have seen those and seen YouTube videos but for now I'm going to stick to my two pots and especially the griddle.

To maximize capacity in the freezer, I freeze the food in shallow plastic containers. Once frozen, I pop the food out of the container and use our vacuum seal machine to pack it in one of the vacuum bags. Lots more can be stored in the freezer in bags than containers.

Most common thing I'll do this way is soups and stews.

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Yes, I have seen those and seen YouTube videos but for now I'm going to stick to my two pots and especially the griddle.

We carry a griddle also. But you will be amazed at the convenience of the airfry/pressure cooker. DW did baby back ribs last weekend, pressure cooked 30 minutes, poured the water off added BBQ sauce directly on the ribs, air fried for 10 minutes. Less than an hour and were delicious.

Can they be used as a Crock Pot? More for warming then cooking. 

They sound like a good appliance for the RV. Replace one for two, but only in the same space.

Herman 

Herman, the Instant Pot can be used as a slow cooker. 

I have done baby back ribs many a time in the Instant pot (IP). Only difference between mine and what Kay has is that after the 30 minute cook time in the instant pot I put them on an oven sheet, top them with BBQ sauce and place under the broiler to caramelize the sauce.  What Kay has could be better for RV travel as it will save the convection oven from getting splattered during the carmalization.  Both are limited to how many you can do at one time.  My 8 quart will do 2 to almost 3 racks.

The saute function has 3 settings, low, medium and high so warming can be done. They also have WiFi capable IP's so you can start your meal from sight seeing.

I make a fabulous clam chowder in my IP.

Here is a good link that I use for some recipies: Pressure Luck Cooking

p.s., a 3 or 5 pound pork roast is about 50-60 minutes and is finger licking good for pulled pork.

Here is a good link on using the IP as a Slow Cooker

Edited by wayne77590

Meatballs. Mexican chicken, pre cooked and vac sealed. We can pull over and whip together tacos or an Italian dish pretty fast. 
Haven't done the slow cooker while in motion yet. 

Edited by jleamont