daledeanlucas

economy mode

Welcome to the Forum. 

When I am coming to a hill, just before it starts to rise I will accelerate so my turbo will kick in and my RPMs increase. This helps me on most inclines.

On really long climbs I will down shift to help get the RPMs up.

Again,  Welcome. 

Herman 

Motorhome and economy mode are exact opposites.  You do not buy a motorhome to achieve economy.  As Herman said, you let it downshift on grades or manually shift down on long grades.  You do not want to let the engine lug or bog down.  Keep the RPMs up in the peak torque range for the engine.

Ken

12 hours ago, daledeanlucas said:

I have a 2017 tiffin allegro 33AA red. How can I find if it is in the economy mode. Or do I have one? having a real hard time going up hill

Look at your shift pad. There is a button on the upper right side marked ECON. It will help on keeping the transmission from downshifting to quickly. Like on overpasses. When on a hill if you can't accelerate in a gear you need to down shift till you can accelerate then stay in that gear and keep your RPM up near the peak HP range.

Bill

As Bill stated.

The economy mode is just to let the transmission shift a little faster. In the book they mention that in hilly or mountainous country to not use the economy mode as the transmission will be shifting more frequently.  I have not noticed a difference in fuel economy using either mode.

As stated, when going up steep hills down shift to a gear that will maintain about 2000 rpms. This should keep the engine temperature at a reasonable level. With my other 340hp MH there were mountains going west where I was at 25 mph and some times a little less and in 2nd gear.

"The journey is the destination," enjoy it.

9 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

As Bill stated.

The economy mode is just to let the transmission shift a little faster. In the book they mention that in hilly or mountainous country to not use the economy mode as the transmission will be shifting more frequently.  I have not noticed a difference in fuel economy using either mode.

As stated, when going up steep hills down shift to a gear that will maintain about 2000 rpms. This should keep the engine temperature at a reasonable level. With my other 340hp MH there were mountains going west where I was at 25 mph and some times a little less and in 2nd gear.

"The journey is the destination," enjoy it.

Hi Wayne, I think you worded the description of economy-mode backwards. Economy-mode  changes the Allison shift pattern so it remains in 5 and 6 gears(overdrive) longer than normal-mode. The Allison default is normal-mode.

In normal-mode the Allison will sometimes "hunt" for the proper gear, economy-mode keeps the Allison in the higher gear until the engine reaches the lowest point of maximum torque. This is good and bad; good to maximize fuel consumption, bad because the engine water pump is not spinning fast enough to move coolant quickly enough for proper engine cooling. nor spin the cooling fan fast enough to dissipate heat from the radiator on long, hard pulls.

reference: http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/index.php?topic=6634.0

FWIW my SIL is USA maintenance manager for a large trucking company. I asked him about economy-mode and he said for the GVWR weight of my MH (36K#) I should always use economy-mode.  I have found that to be true for everything except mountain driving; then I do as you stated.

Allison  helpful information:https://cdn.mpparts.com/pdfs/Trans Codes.pdf

Edited by rayin

Ray, I understand that but it seems to shift faster to the next gear and it does as you say, staying in gear longer. At lease with my system it seems that way.  I'll break out the Freightliner manual and give it a SWAG.

The economy selection delays down shifting, keeping it a higher gear longer for a bit more economy.  It works best in rolling country....in economy it will stay in 6th gear, if not in economy, as soon as it senses a hill or slight loss of speed,  it will down shift not to lose any speed or gain back the speed lost.