sdllc03

Inverter / charger checks out, but not charging batteries.

I have a xantrex Freedom 458 that by all accounts checks out fine, but I'm not getting charging power to the batteries and the inverter is not pulling power from the batteries.  Any help would be appreciated. Main fuses are good. No breakers are tripped, Isolator Relay is good. I'm not sure what else to try.

See if Salesman switches are on. If not, turn them on. If on look for a large 200-300amp fuse is good should be located in line coming from coach battery bank. Maybe a 30amp breaker in main power panel is off. 

sdllc03,

Welcome to the Forum.

If the batteries have had the cable disconnected for any reason, your Inverter my just be turned off. Had it happen to me more than once.

Please list what RV you have plus year and model. That help with lots of answers.

Again, Welcome,

Herman

sdllc03, Welcome to the forum. This may sound silly but look at the front of your xantrex Freedom 458. In the upper left area are a couple raised bumps. They are switches. Make shure they are on. Let me know what you find.

Bill

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution LE.

I have checked all fuses and breakers. I have checked the inverter to make sure the charge light is on. I can hear the charger coil buzzing when I turn it on. My ammeter says there is no power flowing through the wires that leave the inverter which leads me to believe the charger is not putting out power, yet when I remove the wires from the terminals the charger blinks red so it knows when the batteries are connected or not. I am about ready to replace the inverter at this point.

If you are close enough to Elkhart, Indiana, you can get a MRI number by calling Xantrex and then carry in for repair. It would be much cheaper than replacing. When I had mine repaired, the charge was less than $100, but I am sure it depends on what was repaired. 

As I understand,  other service center is in the state if Washington, but it is drop off and shipped into Canada for actual repair. 

Because of the weight and sturdy shipping container required, shipping to have repairs made is very high cost. 

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.  I ended up ordering a replacement which I installed this morning with great results. Everything is now working as it should. It appears the inverter was indeed bad. I plan on dissecting the old one at some point to figure out what went wrong.

There are several printed circuit boards. One of them, I think it is the 2nd from the front, has a small glass fuse which can easily be blown because of load and ambient heat. 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:25 AM, sdllc03 said:

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.  I ended up ordering a replacement which I installed this morning with great results. Everything is now working as it should. It appears the inverter was indeed bad. I plan on dissecting the old one at some point to figure out what went wrong.

The attached pictures might help locate them.

Always work as there are static sensitive parts in the circuits. 

Good luck !

Rich.

A secondary Note regarding this model  charger / inverter. Xantrex also made a software up date to these units. Think it is serial number relative.

f1f2location.jpg

Picture 5.jpg

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

Edited by dickandlois