speck

Slide Awning flapping

A few times when going down the road, with a cross wind, my slide awning will billow up. Makes a check of a noise.  My question is, "Is the tension on the roller too light?". This spring I had to stop in Dumas TX get behind the Wal-Mart and remove the awning. Yes the ends got away from me and all tension was released.  I have just a plain awning, not one of the covered ones.  All comments appreciated.

Speck

I have had a awning that would blow out at times. I took a length of PVC pipe that was long enough go up the awning arm and extend down below the arm. I put foam (like what is used to wrap A/C tubing)on each end so it would not scratch to coach and secured it with a velcro strap. I had to do this when in Utah with very high winds. I later did tighten the tension on the roller. The manufacturer called for 21 turns and I went with 23 and never had a blow out again.

Hope this helps.

Herman 

57 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

I have had a awning that would blow out at times. I took a length of PVC pipe that was long enough go up the awning arm and extend down below the arm. I put foam (like what is used to wrap A/C tubing)on each end so it would not scratch to coach and secured it with a velcro strap. I had to do this when in Utah with very high winds. I later did tighten the tension on the roller. The manufacturer called for 21 turns and I went with 23 and never had a blow out again.

Hope this helps.

Herman 

Thanks Herman, mine doesn't have arms like my patio awning, but the thought of putting a PVC pipe over the awning roller has crossed my mind.