Sign in to follow this  
tspprn@aol.com

Towing a Chevy HHR

We have an HHR and have pulled it from Oklahoma to Gulfport Ms and back. We have had no trouble at all. There is a fuse to pull or you will run the battery down as you have to turn the ignition switch so the steering wheel will turn. It so states in your manual which fuse to pull. The fuse panel is on the front passenger side just below the middle on the left side . I took the fuse out and put a breaker in so I dont have to pull the panel out and find the fuse. I couldn't find a standard type breaker but I had one out of some extra aircraft breakers. If you dont have a manual I can look in mine and tell you. Just let me know. I will be leaving tomorrow pulling it heading toward Alaska.

Steve Mosher

Anyone have experiences towing an HHR? I have heard it can be done 4 down by removing a fuse or chip or something?

Would like to know more.

We have been towing a HHR for two years, you need to check the manual for you car. Ours is manual trans and we have to pull a fuse, a royal pain in the rear. I bought a switch for it to replace the fuse and that shorted out. I will probably go to a battery disconnect switch.

Dave Salter

We bought an HHR last summer for it's economy (25-30mpg), looks, weight (just over 3100 lbs) and ease of towing. We've got an automatic and the owner's manual says it can be towed any distance as long as your speed doesn't exceed 65 mph. In order to keep the battery from running down, fuse #8 must be pulled because the ignition must be ON to release the steering wheel. I find it very easy to pull the fuse and replace it before disconnecting and starting. I bought one of the little fuse pullers from Advance Auto Parts to make it even easier.

Another excellant choice for towing 4 down is the Chevy Malibu. It weighs a little more than the HHR but has more interior room and gets just as good or better gas mileage (up to 33mpg). It has the same 65mph restriction and I think you'll need to pull a fuse with it also. Neither one register miles while towing.

My other car is a '98 Olds Cutlass (a Malibu with an Oldsmobile emblem). Both the HHR and Cutlass are equiped to tow and we switch off now and then. The Cutlass now has over 122,xxx miles on it and still drives great. I forget their back there while going down the highway - good thing I've got the camera to remind me!

We have been towing a 2007 HHR automatic for three years. As stated by other users, you have to pull a 2 amp fuse from the passenger side, centre panel. I found pulling off the panel, then the fuse each time a major pain so I wired in a toggle switch c/w a 2 amp fuse holder. The toggle switch is then mounted on the driver's side, under the dash, where it can be easily reached. I no longer have to remove the panel. The material required, wire, toggle switch, 2 amp fuse holder cost $10.00!

Derek Hudson

PS: The only issue with the HHR is that the tow bar attaches to the front end very low on the vehicle. Even with a 6" drop down receiver, the tow bar is still sloped up towards the motorhome. Although within the 4" allowed, it still has caused excessive, premature wear on my Blue Ox tow bar. I have towed my HHR for only 20,000 miles and am presently rebuilding my tow bar for the second time. I will be adding hitch immobilizers to both receivers which I hope will solve the problem.

I have towed my HHR for only 20,000 miles and am presently rebuilding my tow bar for the second time. I will be adding hitch immobilizers to both receivers which I hope will solve the problem.

What are Hitch Immobilizers?

I've towed my 2007 HHR (automatic transmission) about 28,000 miles including mountains and flat land with no problems. Pulling the fuse is an unecessary inconvenience. I had a master disconnect switch installed and it works just fine. In spite of the low baseplates in comparison to the MH, I've had no noticeable wear to my Roadmaster Falcon towbar. The HHR tows easily and follows precisely.