C-898503

Outlet breaker trips when power disconnected

When we disconnect coach from power the breaker for the front half of the outlets pops within seconds to minutes with nothing plugged in to outlets. Doesnt do this with generator only when inverting. Back half of coach outlets ok. This is a 2000 Monico Dynasty. New breaker installed didnt correct. Two shops can't find anything wrong. 

Welcome to the Forum!

Is there a GFI on this line?  I have had them for TV.  The other thing could be, your ATS is not fully engaging when disconnecting from park power to Inverter/gen power.  90% of our electric problems is a bad ground. 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Is there a GFI on this line?  I have had them for TV.  The other thing could be, your ATS is not fully engaging when disconnecting from park power to Inverter/gen power.  90% of our electric problems is a bad ground. 

The GFI is in the breaker none are at the 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Is there a GFI on this have had them for TV.  The other thing could be, your ATS is not fully engaging when disconnecting from park power to Inverter/gen power.  90% of our electric problems is a bad ground. 

7 hours ago, C-898503 said:

When we disconnect coach from power the breaker for the front half of the outlets pops within seconds to minutes with nothing plugged in to outlets. Doesnt do this with generator only when inverting. Back half of coach outlets ok. This is a 2000 Monico Dynasty. New breaker installed didnt correct. Two shops can't find anything wrong. 

When we disconnect coach from power the breaker for the front half of the outlets pops within seconds to minutes with nothing plugged in to outlets. Back half of coach outlets ok.

Are both sections on the same GFI ? This statement has me confused.

Generaly there is a single GFI unit in each circuit.

Regarding the ATS ( Automatic Transfer Smith) The switch Switches the L1 and L2 power lines from the shore power and  the Generator  this relay is used to keep the 2 different Sources separated and the output of the relay is connected directly to the coach main circuit breaker

Rich.

Edited by dickandlois

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Welcome to the Forum!

The GFI is in the breaker none are at the outlet

5 minutes ago, dickandlois said:

When we disconnect coach from power the breaker for the front half of the outlets pops within seconds to minutes with nothing plugged in to outlets. Back half of coach outlets ok.

Rich.

Hi Rich, there is a gfi on the breaker itself for the back half of the coach outlets which never trips. The gfi breaker on the front half of the coach trips but only after I unplug from shore power. There are no gfi outlets installed because the breakers are gfi breakers.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Is there a GFI on this have had them for TV.  The other thing could be, your ATS is not fully engaging when disconnecting from park power to Inverter/gen power.  90% of our electric problems is a bad ground. 

Hi Rich, there is a gfi on the breaker itself for the back half of the coach outlets which never trips. The gfi breaker on the front half of the coach trips but only after I unplug from shore power. There are no gfi outlets installed because the breakers are gfi breakers.

It sounds like you have a loose Ground Bus And the GFI senses the different value between the Neutral Side and the ground. Please understand the Coach is not connected to Earth ground when the Coach is powered by the Generator.

Rich.

YOU are seeing the results of a loose ground connection In the Main Power panel or possibly a bad ground connection at the inverter.

Edited by dickandlois

12 minutes ago, dickandlois said:

Regarding the ATS ( Automatic Transfer Smith) The switch Switches the L1 and L2 power lines from the shore power and  the Generator  this relay is used to keep the 2 different Sources separated and the output of the relay is connected directly to the coach main circuit breaker

Rich.

Rich, Unfortunately I don't understand any of that but I will call the shop that couldn't find anything wrong tomorrow and see if they understand. I've been 2 years trying to fix this issues.

1 minute ago, dickandlois said:

It sounds like you have a loose Ground Bus And the GFI senses the different value between the Neutral Side and the ground. Please understand the Coach is not connected to Earth ground when the Coach is powered by the Generator.

Rich.

I don't lose power in the front half when using shore power or generator only when I'm just inverting.

3 minutes ago, C-898503 said:

I don't lose power in the front half when using shore power or generator only when I'm just inverting.

It seems I have an issue maybe between the breaker and the inverter. Outlets and breaker on half the couch don't pop when I unplug shore power and the other half of the coach does. Mind you nothing is plugged into any of the outlets when the breaker pops. 

C-898503. You mentioned that it happens when on the inverter.  Is this correct?

The inverter / charger units Both have .    need a good Earth Ground when on the power grid or it will trip the GFI circuit breaker. YOU could have a loose natural wire at the main power box behind the panel . one needs to check them all (meaning all the screw connections in the box and the inverter output connections behind the 120 volt outputs from the inverter)

Hope this helps find your issue !

Rich.    

Sounds to me like what several have said,  ATS.(Automatic Transfer Switch).

L1 (Line one) and L2 (Line two) are the power lines in the power panel of the coach. Power is supplied by either shore power or generator. Power from either source must go through the ATS. In the ATS are two large contacts, one for each incoming power line. L1 will supply power to half the coach while L2 supplies power to the other half. 

Since you are losing only power to half the coach, that tells me that your ground and neutrals are ok and the issue is one of the contacts is the problem. 

IMHO,

Herman 

8 hours ago, dickandlois said:

YOU are seeing the results of a loose ground connection In the Main Power panel or possibly a bad ground connection at the inverte

I agree with Rich. All neutral (common) are tied together within the main panel, it appears that there is some leakage within the neutral leads in the main fuse panel. Very simple to disconnect all sources of electricity to the main panel, shore power, generator, and inverter all either unplugged or turned off or disconnect battery from inverter, then, try to retighten all screws on the neutral bar, (where all the white wires are attached). A GFI circuit looks for differences in amperage between neutral and the hot leg of your power, it only takes 5/1000 of an amp to trip this circuit. Any bleed over can cause this to trip.

Edited by kaypsmith

9 hours ago, manholt said:

I would find another shop!

I completely agree! Any RV electrician that doesn't know to re-tighten all connections( test them)  first needs to go back through school.

C988593_  Question; are you switching power sources while large amp. loads are running? That does cause problems eventually.

Edited by rayin