akadeadeye

Spartan Chassis Issue

We are at the Spartan factory in Charlotte, MI.  They did an inspection and found an issue with the HBT torque box and said it needed to be replaced  Anyone have any experience with this?  it is a time consuming and expensive repair.  Thanks in advance  I don't yet even know what a torque box is.

Don

39 minutes ago, akadeadeye said:

They did an inspection and found an issue with the HBT torque box and said it needed to be replaced

What exactly are they calling the torque box?

Bill

Don, its the Hendriks HBT 210 rear axle/tag alignment system.   I don't have experience with it...but from what I read, it prevents having the rear end aligned every year.  Catch 22 is that the system should be checked by Spartan annually for proper torque, I could not find the torque values.  

Sorry, I can't help more!

Edited by manholt

8 hours ago, manholt said:

Don, its the Hendriks HBT 210 rear axle/tag alignment system.   I don't have experience with it...but from what I read, it prevents having the rear end aligned every year.  Catch 22 is that the system should be checked by Spartan annually for proper torque, I could not find the torque values.  

After inspecting that parts diagram blow-up I think I understand how and why it works. In Spartan/Hendrickson technical speak I suspect their definition of torque for this part is not the same as we are imagining. I can imagine the torque it absorbs to keep tandem axles aligned.  (That's the former tool and die maker inside me thinking aloud)

Don I assume you bit the bullet and had it replaced?

Edited by rayin

13 hours ago, manholt said:

Carl, You are correct.  The torque box has rotated causing the rods to separate from the bushing on one side and pushing in to the bushing on the other side.  This caused the rear axle to shift a bit.  They caught it in time.  No one can tell me how this happened.

Ray,  Yes they have all the parts needed and will drop the axle and replace torque box and other related parts over the next couple of days.  Glad we caught it when we did.

Thanks for the feedback. I have learned a lot over the last 24-36 hours!

Don

Seems like if its not one thing its something else! At least you don't have to worry about when the DEF Head failure is going to leave you stranded someplace.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, akadeadeye said:

We are at the Spartan factory in Charlotte, MI.  They did an inspection and found an issue with the HBT torque box and said it needed to be replaced  Anyone have any experience with this?  it is a time consuming and expensive repair.  Thanks in advance  I don't yet even know what a torque box is.

Don

Hey Don how did the HTB replacement go?  

3 hours ago, mxchief said:

Hey Don how did the HTB replacement go?  

It went fine.  A little expensive but we're glad they caught it.  First class service at the Spartan factory and a nice parking lot with 50 amp.  We only had to stay in a motel one night.  They caught a few more minor issues and repaired them.  We are aligned and truckin! 2,800 miles after the repair and going strong.  Thenks for asking.

Don