urbanhermit

12V control on an Onan generator?

Discovered all four new 6-volt deep cycle house batteries down to 1.1 volts; then discovered the generator is not putting out current -- nothing coming into the switch.,  Breaker was not/does not trip.  Generator seems to go under and come out of load.

Wondering if there could be some 12V control circuit from house batteries associated with the genset.  I'm now charging -- or tryng to charge -- the batteries on 120v house current.  We'll see how that goes through the night.  I have no way of plugging into shore power.  My primary interest is what might be causing the generator to fail to produce current.  What discharged the batteries os of secondary concern.  Wondering if some wonky short in the generator could be draining the batteries through the charger, or if there could  be some 12V control circuit associated with the genset that wouldn't work from severely discharged batteries.  The generator is an 8kW Onan in a 2006 Monaco Cayman 36.  The genarator has only about 1450 hours.  The question about a 12v control circuit is grasping at a straw, I know.  Only desperation prompts it. 

Edited by urbanhermit

There are two breakers on the generator. Turn both off and then back on. Are your salesman switchs near the door on? If the batteries were really 1.1 volts they need to be replaced. They are so low probably your battery charger will not even try to charge them. You might try a separate battery charger, but most of them will not try to charge a 1.1 volt battery. 

3 hours ago, rossboyer said:

There are two breakers on the generator. Turn both off and then back on. Are your salesman switchs near the door on? If the batteries were really 1.1 volts they need to be replaced. They are so low probably your battery charger will not even try to charge them. You might try a separate battery charger, but most of them will not try to charge a 1.1 volt battery. 

There's hope.  I'm going to go find the second breaker.  It's not adjacent to the first as far as I know. 

Rats.  One breaker, 35A 120 AC

UPDATE:  After charging several hours on house current-powered battery chargers, the house batteries are showing (an unstabalized) 11.44 volts -- and the generator is now putting out cuirent.  I don't get it.  House batteries taking out the generator ?  I'll charge for another 11 hours@ +/- 5 amps and see what's what after that.  Not expecting the batteries to old a good charge. 

Edited by urbanhermit

Your 8kw Onan genset should provide plenty of supply for your MH. Yes it has one 35A breaker, however it will power two 15Kw air conditioners according to the spec sheet.

Battery drain is a common problem in unused MH's, even with the main house battery disconnect open there are hidden power draws. The only way to completely isolate the battery bank is to remove the negative battery cables or install a marine quality battery disconnect switch in the negative cable..

Edited by rayin

1 hour ago, rayin said:

Your 8kw Onan genset should provide plenty of supply for your MH. Yes it has one 35A breaker, however it will power two 15Kw air conditioners according to the spec sheet.

Battery drain is a common problem in unused MH's, even with the main house battery disconnect open there are hidden power draws. The only way to completely isolate the battery bank is to remove the negative battery cables or install a marine quality battery disconnect switch in the negative cable..

1 hour ago, rayin said:

Well familiar with how it works; my problem was how it wasn't working.  But house batteries charged and are holding a charge despite being so low (probably with shortened life); generator is producing current normally.  I need to determine if it was a physical fault or operator idiocy that caused the batteries to discharge but I'm otherwise again ready to terrorize the highways.  

21 hours ago, urbanhermit said:

One breaker, 35A 120 AC

One 120 volt breaker 35 amps is only 4200 watts, thus my question about amperage. Perhaps it is a 35 amp 240 volt (double pole) breaker. Glad is back to working properly now.

Edited by kaypsmith

From some responses, I think i may not have been clear in my inquiry.  The resolution of the problem was bringing my house batteries up from discharged.  Evlidently there is a 12-volt control circuit or two involved with the operation of the electrical half of the genset, powered by -- strangely to me --- the house batteries.  Once recharged, 120V AC flowed normally from the generator. 

On 6/30/2021 at 1:38 PM, kaypsmith said:

One 120 volt breaker 35 amps is only 4200 watts, thus my question about amperage. Perhaps it is a 35 amp 240 volt (double pole) breaker. Glad is back to working properly now.

Thanks for pointing that out.  Definitely labeled as 8kW, definitely only one breaker, single type, labeled for 35 amps, unless Onan has hidden a second (double pole?) breaker somewere.  I'm now assuming that what appears to be a single-pole breaker is a double-pole.  However things are configured, everything is still working, the batteries were holding a charge normally the last time I was at the coach, and I'm happy again .