belair375

Campgrounds Offering New York City Tours

Last year we stayed at Black Bear Campground in Florida, NY, about an hour northwest of NYC. We were advised of an all day tour of NYC and signed up at $85 each. Friends went with us. They had never been into the city, we had been there several times before. We all enjoyed the tour. The tour guide had a real New York City attitude and shared it with us in a humorous way. The tour was well worth the money. We have taken the train into the city and tour on our own before. This time we saw more, even in places we had been before.

Our tour started with the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Instead of leaving from the Battery in Manhattan, we were taken to the New Jersey side where there was no waiting, get our tickets and catch the ferry. We've stood in line for hours to get the same ferry from New York City. We didn't spend as much time at Ellis Island as when we were on our own. If you love history, EI is worth at least a day. Still, in the time allotted we were able to take our friends through most of the processing center - just keep moving. Next we visited the World Trade Center site. Our guide sent us to several locations we missed when we were there several years ago on our own. Nothing like having someone who knows their way around.

After that stop, we did a drive by of the Battery (lots of people still lined up for EI and the Statue of Liberty), Brooklyn Bridge, Empire State Building, Wall Street and then a stop at Times Square. We had time to walk around on our own. After some exploring we stopped for ice cream at Juniors before catching our van out of the city back to the campground.

When we visited several years before this we stayed at a family campground in Southern Connecticut near New Haven. We took the train into the city and explored on our own. That too was a good experience. From Grand Central Station we took the subway downtown. With help from New Yorkers we were able to get off at the World Trade Center and walked all around the site. There was much more to be seen on the site than now. All you can see now is the construction fence. We got back on the subway, went to the Battery, toured Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty and then returned to Grand Central Station to catch the train back to New Haven. It was a great day but we didn't see near as much of the city as the tour gave us.

To give full disclosure regarding Black Bear Campground... You are instructed at the office to unhook your toad before driving up the hill around sharp curves to the campground. We made it without backing up but it is a very steep climb to the campground. Once in, the trip out is much less extreme. A camp worker was mowing the grass and in an attempt to be helpful, hurried to cut the tall weeds around the sewer connection. He hit a rock which peppered the side of our motor home, numerous paint chips. We talked to the owner and he paid for the damage. We had it painted when we returned to our old home area. We came out even on the deal. We never saw a black bear but there were deer roaming the grounds.

Hi belair375,

When in this area we stay at the Newburgh/New York City North KOA (845-564-2836). Go to http://www.koa.com/where/ny/32102/ and read about the CG. The reason this CG is our choice is:

1. Easy access to I87 and I84.

2. NYC tours and pickup available at the CG

3. New Paltz is a short drive. This town has the history of how the area was settled over several hundred years. All the houses (built over several hundred years) are there. If you go, take the guided tour.

4. FDR NHS at Hyde Park is a short drive. Go to http://www.nps.gov/hofr/index.htm to read about it. Once again, the guided tour is a good thing to do.

5. Near the FDR NHS is the culinary institute. This is a perfect place to have a meal you will remember. Go to http://www.ciachef.edu/restaurants/default.asp and read about it.

Old post and I wanted to update it;

We just returned from a long weekend to New York City. We stayed at Liberty Harbor RV park which is located across the Hudson from NYC (in Jersey City NJ) but next to the Statue of Liberty and a large marina. The CG is just a Parking lot with Water, 30/50 Amp electric and honey wagon service ($20.00 per day up charge for honey wagon). No issues getting into the area with a 41' 6" coach (no toad). 10 minutes from I-78 easy on and off. The area is under a revitalization project which is raising the bar for the area, many upscale restaurants in the area. The people were very nice.

The CG has a restaurant on the water at the marina (it wasn't open yet for the season but looked nice). They have 24hr security and at no point in time felt uncomfortable or unsafe. The local Police patrol the marina often (must be the high dollar yachts and sail boats docked there?).

They have a ferry dock at the marina which is about 1000 feet from the sites, the boat will take you to NYC with a rate of $7.00 per person. If you want to see NYC I recommend giving this place a try, it is as close as you can get, honestly it felt odd sitting outside and looking at the NYC skyline at night which was neat...just different. I prepaid for the honey wagon service and I just left that basement door unlocked for them to handle it while we were out for the day, no issues and they left me a note on the door to let me know the tanks were empty. Defiantly would return to this place. It could use some sprucing up but for what it is it just works.

web site http://www.libertyharborrv.com/

Garykd,  I tried calling the campground to ask this question but they are closed for the winter.   The wife and I are trying to schedule a multi-point trip through New England starting with Gettysburg PA, then to New York, then Plymouth MA, then to Maine and Nova Scotia.   While planning days to be where I need to know if the Bus Tour you mentioned runs every day, or just weekdays, or specific days of the week.   

I realize this post is several years old, but was wondering if you have any insight you could offer while we try to nail down dates for our trip.

Thanks in advance

Wayne Burgett . Alabama

We stayed there a few years ago on our way to CT. Reason being, the campgrounds are few and far between in that area. In any event, when we checked in we were met by what appeared to be summer help who were not very helpful. We had asked for a pullthru for our 40 QBH Phaeton, towing. We barely fit in the site and had a heck of a time getting out. In hindsight, we should have demanded another site but it was getting late and we just wanted to park. The campground does have some really nice sites that are large. I guess it depends if you are a long term guest or not. So if you book, make sure of what site they stick you in.