eric@babin.com

A/C COILS CLEANED (but they weren't dirty?)

Coleman Mach 8 A/C units

So I got some foaming no rinse coil cleaner to clean my coils on the units.... I've not cleaned them before, and one unit is about years old, and the other about 6 years old.  

Took the unit covers off and noticed the coils didn't really look dirty.  I use these A/C units daily.  Is that normal for them not to be dirty?  

I cleaned them using the spray cleaner anyway.... I guess maybe there was some dirt in there somewhere?

That sounds totally normal. Even though they may look clean there may be enough blockage that it hampers the coil's ability to do its job. A lot of times what ever is blocking the heat transfer is not visible. Your compressor thanks you!!

If you took the covers off up top, you only cleaned the condenser coils.  There is an additional cover to take off once inside the unit to get to the evaporator coil.  The evaporator coil can be seen from the inside by removing the interior ceiling assembly.

If you keep your air filters clean on a regular basis, the evaporator will not get very dirty.

Ken

As txiceman said. On my Atwood units, I also access both sets of coils from topside and I have to remove a styrofoam cover that encases the evaporator coil. If you have a roof panel inside that you can remove to clean the filter, try removing the cover and shine a flashlight straight up. That lets us see the evaporator from inside. The evaporator coil looks like a radiator with fins and all.

Ray

Evaporator.PNG