pfd701

Tires - Cross Country Trip - 33' Travel Trailer

We are planning a 3 1/2 month cross country with our 33' Grand Design TT. I'd like to upgrade from the Westlake tires that came with the unit. The consensus from multiple local dealers is that Goodyear Endurance are the best option at this time. Any input in this regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Welcome to the forum. I think I would go with the Goodyear Endurance. Check your weight and air preshure and watch your speed. 

Bill 

I ran Westlake on two cargo trailers, one I pulled them off at 10 years with 2/32 of tread, never had an issue. I never went above 65MPH and the trailer was always level. I can tell you it was at its MAX GAWR all the time, even when parked. 

Bill, Manholt, jleamont, thank you all for your input. I appreciate it. 

Manholt, in answer to your question, I've got new Michelin Defenders on my Ram 2500 Diesel. They ride great. Here's hoping they hold up.

Safe travels everyone. And again, thanks. 

pfd 701, I have given up on Michelin tires for my truck.  The LTX MS2 and AT2 tires only made about 35,000 miles the last two times.  I used to get 60,000 miles from the tires.   This time I went with a Cooper Adventurer AT tire and so far pleased.  They ride better than the Michelins.  Lets see how they wear now.

Ken

We put the Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer yesterday. It's obviously too early for any meaningful report. But what I can initially say is that a friend of ours immediately noticed less flex in the side walls as I made the tight turns into our storage spot. I'm pleased with that. I also decided to have a second spare mounted given the distance on our upcoming trip. 

Thanks again for all of your input.

Ken, I'm surprised to hear about the Michelins. Thanks for the input on the Coopers.

Paul

Other than the potholes and curbs one cannot avoid, perhaps the next worst thing on a tandem axle tire is spot-turns. Try to avoid sharp/spot turns whenever possible.

I once watched a guy make a spot turn on hot asphalt one summer day in East TX, he rolled a tire so much it broke the bead seal.

People need to be very careful when switching tire type from ST to LT as you will need to go up in size or up in Load Range (inflation), or both to carry the load. It is also important to have a MINIMUM of 10% Reserve Load (Capacity over measured load)  with 15% to 20% better.