skykingtcb

Roof while traveling

Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Monaco Diplomat two roof airs and dash air. Due to heat yesterday Dash air which was blowing 42° was Not doing it so I started Gen. And ran both roof airs but it turned off after about 30 minutes. I was driving and couldn't tell if ac shut off or Gen shut off. What do u do in hot weather for inside comfort .

47 minutes ago, skykingtcb said:

Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Monaco Diplomat two roof airs and dash air. Due to heat yesterday Dash air which was blowing 42° was Not doing it so I started Gen. And ran both roof airs but it turned off after about 30 minutes. I was driving and couldn't tell if ac shut off or Gen shut off. What do u do in hot weather for inside comfort .

You need to find out if the ac shut off or the generator. AC will cycle off once it cools down. Should be obvious if the gen quit. Find out why.

Bill

We run the generator and both roof top A/C units when needed. The dash AC draws more fuel than the generator, but the generators maintenance is more costly. 

Sounds to me that you have a bad oil level sensor on generator, or you really are low on oil...when was it last serviced?

i only need to run dash air during travel in current coach.   I had a Coachmen years ago and had to run roof air to keep cool.  There was no insulation behind the overhead cabinets over the cockpit area.  Probably little to none elsewhere.

Surely by now, you know if AC or generator shut off. Let us know which for better advice. Most of us use the generator and roof air for summer driving.

5 hours ago, jleamont said:

We run the generator and both roof top A/C units when needed. The dash AC draws more fuel than the generator, but the generators maintenance is more costly. 

Dash consumes more fuel?  That surprises me.  At equal fuel consumtion with my genset consuming 1 gph, my rig would have to lose from 7.5 mpg to 6.5 mpg at 55 mph average -- can it be that much, or is my math reasoning wrong?

On 7/13/2021 at 6:34 PM, urbanhermit said:

Dash consumes more fuel?  That surprises me.  At equal fuel consumtion with my genset consuming 1 gph, my rig would have to lose from 7.5 mpg to 6.5 mpg at 55 mph average -- can it be that much, or is my math reasoning wrong?

When your air conditioners/genset stopped what was your fuel level?

That has been my experience too. My Onan quietdiesel 7.5kw uses .4 gph at half-load, .9 gph at full-load.

Edited by rayin

Your Generator should shut off at a quarter tank....most times its closer to a third.

I don't know what my 12kw cost me per hour!  I just know that my wife wants 73 degrees, period.  For 6 or 7 hours a day on the road, I don't worry about it.

Carl,  Fuel consumption for an Onan 12.5kw genset is .38 gph at idle, .71gph at half-load,   1.28 gph at full load. That is amazing  how close it is to my 7.5 kw fuel consumption.

Edited by rayin