obiwan_canoli

Powering portable cooler with independent battery

I recently acquired a powered mobile cooler/freezer which I plan to house in one of the storage bays in my Class A. In this configuration, it can be powered by an accessible AC plug, and will sit on a slide-out tray for ease of access. The cooler measures 33 L x 20 H x 19 Deep.

It can also be powered via DC, and would be an easy fit for the back of my SUV, where I have a DC lighter-type plug for access. DC rated consumption is average of 1.43 Ah/h, and includes 3-stage battery protection system, preventing deep draw, and dead battery.

I'd like to install a separate battery, to power the cooler when vehicle is not running, and set it up so that this battery may be recharged via a portable solar panel (120W). The battery would be encased in a plastic case designed for such purpose, but I'm unsure how to put something like this together. Doesn't seem difficult, just need to know the right components to do so... I'm considering AGM, but open to Lithium for all the reasons one would want it, including fast recharging.

Cooler manufacturer offers a LI 40Ah batter for $850, but for that, I can pick up a 100Ah and hopefully secure the components to achieve my objective...

Anyone done something like this? Sure would appreciate the many voices of experience here... thanks!

Is the 12 volt outlet at the back of the suv active 24/7 or only key switch is only on in vehicle? I would highly recommend a 35 amp gell cell battery and using a plug in adapter to the 12 V outlet, if the outlet is hot only when switch is on would be great. If the outlet is hot 24/7 then a diode of appropriate size between outlet and battery is a must, with this setup the unit will only pull from the reserve battery protecting your suv against battery drainage from the cooler. Gell cells require no need for an external case and can be mounted in any position. They last for years when kept charged properly and are much less expensive than lithium or agm. Here is one on ebay just for comparison.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133780772206?hash=item1f25f4956e:g:5sQAAOSwQdZguq0V

Edited by kaypsmith