Never even consider Northstar by Revolos.  I use Empire Truck Sales, an extremely professional, highly ethical multistate Freightliner and Cummins dealership/repair facility for chassis issues.  Their employee who interacts with extended warranty companies said treatment of him while he was seeking to process a claim  for replacing a part specifically stated in their contract as covered -- front air bag switch -- has been "mind boggling." His term.  I wish there was a way to convey his speech in describing their verbal response.  He said they are the worst he has experienced -- by far -- in his seven years of functioning in his present capacity. He said, his words, "It's like taking the worst of everything from all the companies and weaving them together as a way of doing business."  He said, additionally, that they voluntarily told him there were a lot of converages in the contract for which they will not pay diagnostic charges (nothing in the contract about that) and that they don't pay for shiping, sales tax, shop supplies, or full labor rates.  They expect repair facilities to get approval before beginning the repair, a ploy begging for violation as waiting for them would be tatamount to putting a coach on blocks and forgetting about it.  Finally, the Emprire employee said, they told him it would be thirty days before they'd act on the piddly reimbursement.  He and I both suspect focused petty vindictiveness.   

This is only the latest struggle with them.  I've had Empire file for two other repairs and have had difficulty with them on both, the second more than the first but neither at this level.  This time it was obvious they tried to escape payment by ignoring repeated attempts, over time, to file the claim.  Empire told me that in the process this time he was told three times the people whom he'd talked to the day beore didn't work there.  They whittled an $841 repair cost down to $598 covered, so that after my $500 deductable (that part, at least, is legitimate), they're going to send me $98.  After an interlude of a month. 

My mistake was ignoring the aphorism "You get what you pay for" and relying on a printed document that's worth no more than the nonexistent ethics of the company.  

Edited by urbanhermit

Some forget they are signing a legal contract with terms and conditions. Just as with any other sales contract the purchaser must read the fine print prior to signing. I know of no extended service contract that pays for diagnostic work, nor do I know of any ESC that does not require prior approval for repairs or replacement for anything covered by the contract.

Most ESC companies use independent adjusters to visually confirm  damage or failed parts prior to claim approval. I know that's how the company that underwrites the Good Sam extended service contracts does business.  Naturally this adds time to processing and approving a claim, however without safeguards such companies would rather quickly fail.

It's regrettable  you've had  a bad experience.

7 hours ago, rayin said:

Some forget they are signing a legal contract with terms and conditions. Just as with any other sales contract the purchaser must read the fine print prior to signing. I know of no extended service contract that pays for diagnostic work, nor do I know of any ESC that does not require prior approval for repairs or replacement for anything covered by the contract.

Most ESC companies use independent adjusters to visually confirm  damage or failed parts prior to claim approval. I know that's how the company that underwrites the Good Sam extended service contracts does business.  Naturally this adds time to processing and approving a claim, however without safeguards such companies would rather quickly fail.

It's regrettable  you've had  a bad experience.

I'm not mollified in the least.  When someone of the stature and professionalism of the Empire tech tells me this company is like a weave of all the worst policies of all the other companies and is the worst by far that he's seen in seven years of working with ESC companies, I consider my opinion of NorthStar and Revolos justified neven without citing detais.  And I do know how to read a contract, but ifcontracts made cut-and-dried situations there wouldn't be the need for contract lawyers.