cvdell

Broken Shift Handle

My transmission shifter T-handle broke in half and fell to my feet while driving.  A bit distressing until I found I could push in the metal pin with my thumb and still shift (clumsy, but got home).  Now, I need to repair/replace it.  It’s just the plastic T handle, rest of shift linkage is fine.  Googling is finding me complete linkage assemblies for $500- 800. All I need is the  handle.  Has anyone had a similar problem and found a universal shift handle that worked? 

My next best idea is JB Weld (plastic version) and some sort of wrap (maybe hose clamp) to repair what I have.

Chassis is 1998 Freightliner XC, ISB, 4 speed Allison MT643 trans.

Thx

Broken shift handle.jpg

I found this product about a year ago. https://www.amazon.com/Bondic-Activated-Waterproof-Resistant-Microfiber/dp/B00UAH19FS/ref=asc_df_B00UAH19FS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198100801330&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9945830145870962599&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012456&hvtargid=pla-349125716802&psc=1 

I have used it several times to make similar repairs as yours. So far it has worked very well and held up great. It is the same product that dentist uses to mend broken teeth, LOL, use and use the ultra violet light that comes with it. Just a matter of minutes and most items are good as new. It is in most cases stronger than the original part.

The end of the gear shift on my Aerostar fell off several years ago.  I used the standard J-B Weld epoxy to put it back and haven't had any issues since.  It sets in the sun everyday and is still solid as a rock.  Couldn't hurt giving it a try.  The important thing is to keep it immobile overnight while it hardens.

Update -   I called a local Freightliner dealer who found a part number for that shifter.  Discontinued of course, but I found one on Ebay, unopened in original packaging, for $16-. It's on its way now.  In mean time, I'm going to try a JB Weld repair on the broken one.  A fishing friend wraps rods as a hobby; will have him wrap/epoxy the repaired shifter - should be stronger than new.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

'Course, this thread reminds me of the song Wolf Creek Pass by C.W. McCall:

Well, Earl grabbed on the shifter
And he stabbed her into fifth gear
And then the chromium plated
Fully illuminated
Genuine accessory shift knob
Come right off in his hand
I says, "You wanna screw that thing back on, Earl?"
He was tryin' to thread it on there
When the fire fell off a' his cigar
And dropped on down
Sorta rolled around