huffypuff

National Lampoop Toilet

This is a update of the clogged toilet line I posted from Spearfish, SD. The rear toilet began flushing through the roof vent and down the driver side of the coach instead of the black tank. After flushing the black tank and thinking all is well and cleaning up the coach then wife flushes the rear toilet. What a mess so I call a mobile mechanic.

In the meantime I call Entegra CS and ask the representative what to do. He told me that it has to be snaked from the roof through the vent to the tank. When the RV mechanic arrive he wasn't having any of that. He told me he wasn't a plumber to go into the pipes. He told me that he can only plug off the 1 ½ vent to plunge and flush the clog out. It didn't work and I only had to pay a service charge. Since RV tech don't work on plumbing I called several plumbers and guess what plumbers don't work on RV. That pretty much had me stuck with on figuring out how to unplug it myself.

I called Entegra CS the next day and got them to email me the diagram of the drain plumbing for the rear toilet. It basically looked like a upside down T with the vent running between the bathroom and bedroom with about a six foot pipe coming from the toilet. Also had a longer pipe that goes to the black tank. Because of the clog these pipes was full to the roof line with sewage. There was no taking the toilet out to clean because all of that nasty would end up in the bathroom.

With the rear toilet off limits we went ahead to Gillette, WY FMCA rally. I will tackle the problem when we get home. The first thing I found is the snakes I had was too short. I would need a 25 footer minimum to get the job done. I picked up a hand crank ¼ x 25 snake at ACE hardware. With it I able to pull a little TP out of the clog 20 feet out but not able to break it loose. After much trying the cable started to kink so I had to quit as it wasn't going any further. Again I went to ACE hardware and picked up a bottle of rid-x made to desolve TP. I had to wait 24 hours for it to work after adding it. At least I get to install the bling I got at Gillette.

The next day I tried plunging the clog from the roof followed with 20 feet of snake. No joy so I have to try something different. I then went to Harbor Freight and picked up a electric hand held snake. The cable was a little stronger and with a bigger corkscrew on the end. It was made for 1 to 2 inch pipe. I tried it a few times and pulled plugs of TP out a few times and pushed the clog until I ran out of cable. At this point I was getting frustrated.

The last thing I tried had a big risk involved. The pipes was full of sewage to the roof. The toilet had to have a check valve to prevent back flow. I already tried to plunge the pipes from the roof. I had a bladder that gets hooked on the end of a garden hose and water pressure should push the clog the rest of the way. It works from 1 ½ to 3 inch pipes. The bladder expands inside the pipe to hold it in place as water put pressure against the clog. The question was if the check valve was strong enough? I decided to test it first. I set it up and turn the water for 10 seconds. That did nothing but at least no water came into the toilet except a little that was in there before. Then next time I decided to do it for 20 seconds and right before the time was up I hear a whoosh sound from the rear bathroom. I quickly turned the water off and ran inside.

I expected to see the the rear bath flooded and was surprise to find no water anywhere including inside the toilet. I check the black tank level and found it went from 0 to 11 percent. I filled the toilet near the top and gave it a complete flush and it all water went out to the black tank. The tank level went from 11 to 18 percent. No damage done.

In summery, the rear toilet flushes down a long 1 ½ inch black PVC pipe. It can't handle very much TP at once or it will clog.

Ray, it will be a while before I can get that vision out of my head.  🤢   WOW!  Good info since a lot of us have the same plumbing! :rolleyes:

Ray, I'm glad you didn't tell this story at lunch in Gillette. It might have been hard to eat while laughing. Glad you were able to clear the clog. Carl is  headed to Ace Hardware to get the pressure tool. I just hope he doesn't need it when parked close to me😂.

Herman 

Well glad you got it fixed. Trying to convince people that the water coming off the roof was just from the A/C would have been hard.:P

Bill

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Ray, it will be a while before I can get that vision out of my head.  🤢   WOW!  Good info since a lot of us have the same plumbing! :rolleyes:

When I saw Robin Williams in the movie RV I thought no way that could happen.  

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Ray, I'm glad you didn't tell this story at lunch in Gillette. It might have been hard to eat while laughing. Glad you were able to clear the clog. Carl is  headed to Ace Hardware to get the pressure tool. I just hope he doesn't need it when parked close to me😂.

Herman 

I wouldn't touch that problem until I got the rig home.  Very stinky to say the least.  I don't know any plumbers that eat their lunch while working .  I didn't mention it at lunch because I wouldn't be able to eat just because.  It was nice meeting with you and wild Bill.   

57 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

Well glad you got it fixed. Trying to convince people that the water coming off the roof was just from the A/C would have been hard.:P

Bill

Yes, wrong color and smell.  When I first saw it I was WTH???  

Sorry 🤣 . As I am reading this, this scene was all I could think of. 

2A29E9EB-6B76-4C39-BFB1-7026D7139943.jpeg

Edited by jleamont

Reading this topic conjures so many visions and laughs. Ray you really know how to make every ones days.

But seriously, we are all glad you got the clog unstopped .

Herman  

Edited by hermanmullins

Great story to read but sure don't want to have to write about it. Curious, with that small a line I'm assuming you have macerator toilets. Is that right?  I have two and wish one were the pedal dump.

With that big plug loose and in the tank, did it dump okay? Only TP we will use is Angel Soft.

I would have spewed coffee had you had to include that the pressure backed up when using the bladder and sent it into space with the roof and you needing washing. 😇

Years ago I read about a similar event; that's when DW and I decided nothing goes into the RV toilet  but what comes from us. We put all TP and wipes into a small trash can lined with a WM bag. Those that have never put TP in the trash wring their hands and moan about odors, I say there is none or very very little odor( IMO the only odor comes from the scented baby wipes DW uses) from the trash can. The WM liner bag goes to the dumpster each morning.

In addition to the bladder that goes on the end of a garden hose, there is a hand-held plunger model that uses compressed air. Water pressure is safer for the operator and much less messy. (voice of experience here)

Edited by rayin

Don't know what Entegra has!  Both of ours are air assist vacuum, just like a cruise ship.  Noisy but effective. 2 push buttons, one for liquid & one for solids!  Our macerator is outside the black tank in bay, not a perfect system, for that you need a pedal dump & 2 black tanks! 

Ray, we have two of those Techma Macerator toilets.  Knock on wood we have not had any problems with them. They sure do use a lot of water. Somehow Winnebago decided that the grey tank should be 70 gallons and the black tank 55 gallons.  My thinking is it should definitely be reversed.  As it is now we can go about 3 days before dumping because of all the water that is used.  I have the water level adjusted to just about a 1/4 inch above the throat opening.

Yep, to much, and especially of the wrong type, TP can botch things up pretty quickly. I have a clear elbow on the end of the sewer line and take a look at it when I dump and so far just a liquid flows out, discolored a lot, but just liquid.

You are lucky that you can climb and take care of problems like that. I have to get someone else to do it. I became an octogenarian this month. Bodily ability has changed considerably over the years.

Wayne, another 10 years and you'll be a non-age-narian (zero)!  Way to go 🤣

I'm 17 months behind you!  :rolleyes:

Bill, your so right. :P

I'm praying I'll make it beyond tomorrow!  A year ago, my best friend had heart flutter and went in for the same tests that I'll have tomorrow at 8:30 am....he woke up 12 hours later with a zipper!  He now has Afib.....:ph34r: 

I'm not taking anything for granted, anymore!

Edited by manholt

I will behave myself....promise.  It was no problem in Colorado, they where all a carpenters dream....flat as a board.

Ray, I should know the results Monday!  From what I did find out, no by-pass needed.

Wayne.  OMG, WOW, everything is big in Texas!  It was very hard not to be a "Dirty old man!" 😂