tom73

Route Question

Has anyone taken Hwy 101 in Oregon? I'm looking at heading south from the Olympic Peninsula this fall/early winter and was thinking about 101. Possibly be taking I-5 down to Portland (or there abouts) and head west form there. Wife has never been in the PNW so I want her to see lots of scenery. I will have a 38' fiver with me and was wondering if it was a decent road to run........

Edited by tom73

We had no problem on it with a Montana fiver back in 2007, and a MH Towing in 2008 or 9. Others should be on in a little to give newer updates.

In 2014 we drove 101 from just South of Portland to Crescent City CA with our Chevy dually towing a 40' 5er. The only issue we had was being too long for some vistas overlooking the ocean if another car was already there. You're sightseeing, drive slower and enjoy the scenery.

In 2014 I took it from Port Angeles, WA to Russian River, CA in a 45' American Coach with a Jeep JK toad....no problem!

It is a interesting drive. But like Ray said the places to stop when towing are limited and may be full. Also be super aware that people have been known to stop in the road to look or take pictures. It can be a surprise around a blind corner. :P

Bill

22 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

It is a interesting drive. But like Ray said the places to stop when towing are limited and may be full. Also be super aware that people have been known to stop in the road to look or take pictures. It can be a surprise around a blind corner. :P

Bill

That sounds a lot like the North Shore of Lake Superior when I used to drive big trucks there..........

On another note, anybody travel 101 in Washington and cross the Astoria Bridge? That bridge looks like fun!!

Astoria Bridge?  Yes, I never have done Portland.  Also the 432/433 off I-5.

Edited by manholt