weareontheGO

where to call home base

retiring in october and going full time over the road.  trying to figure out where to call home and what mail service  to use.  was thinking of south dakota and using americas mailbox for mail service.  made arrangements to stay at their campground.  long story, be we ended up not being able to get a appointment with sd dot for driver license and plates.  americas mailbox would only refund 1/2  od our payment because of less than 14 day notice.  was only was 16 days when reservations were made.  so, any ideas.  texas is high, also tennesee.

1 hour ago, weareontheGO said:

retiring in october and going full time over the road.  trying to figure out where to call home and what mail service  to use.  was thinking of south dakota and using americas mailbox for mail service.  made arrangements to stay at their campground.  long story, be we ended up not being able to get a appointment with sd dot for driver license and plates.  americas mailbox would only refund 1/2  od our payment because of less than 14 day notice.  was only was 16 days when reservations were made.  so, any ideas.  texas is high, also tennesee.

Where are you starting from (what's home now)?

Any connections to any state in particular? Family? Health coverage? 

lived in pa all our lives.  can't wait to leave.  bad roads, high taxes. bad officials. over regulation, and high prices.  will be back to visit, doctors, etc.  will be heading south and west.

Lived in 9 different states but started from and ended up in WI. Sold everything and started full-timing 3 weeks ago. Changed everything to daughters family residence in Dane County WI as we'll be around WI and at mid-west rallies for probably 5-6 months each summer anyway. Everything online as much as possible, she'll scan anything important that comes in. Going to try it this way for couple years at least.

Agree with Bill. just be aware of the COVID backup!  Back in 2019, your quest for SD would have taken a couple of weeks, same in Texas....Now its 3+ months!  

Linda and I got married 5/18/2020 and we are still trying for an appointment with DMV to change her last name!

On 7/31/2021 at 1:24 PM, manholt said:

Back in 2019, your quest for SD would have taken a couple of weeks, same in Texas....Now its 3+ months! 

We're headed to SD to renew our licenses and I made an appointment at DPS in Sioux Falls a month in advance.  We'll see how that works out.

I would think that Escapees location in Livingston, TX would be a good place to do that because they are far enough outside Houston that the traffic at that DMV location would be less also they are use to dealing with full timers.

Bill

We are currently in SD at Americas Mailbox. Staying for 30 days to get CCW. However most of the states we will be in won’t accept it so we changed our minds. There is nothing at this campsite worth staying here for.  You can stay anywhere in SD fir DL or CCW.  Taking a month for me to get my DL. 

I really appreciate this discussion, everyone.  Mail delivery while on the road is a problem I have to solve in the next few days.  I know FMCA promotes America's Mailbox and Your Best Address, but I'm seeing people frustrated with both of them in the FMCA forums as well as on Yelp. I especially love getting the details related to CCW and DMV registration time delays in SD due to Covid. I wouldn't have known.

I may go with Escapees. Thanks for positive tips for them.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:24 AM, manholt said:

Agree with Bill. just be aware of the COVID backup!  Back in 2019, your quest for SD would have taken a couple of weeks, same in Texas....Now its 3+ months!  

Linda and I got married 5/18/2020 and we are still trying for an appointment with DMV to change her last name!

last year 2020 we went to Texas in june, got our license the same day, and got our RV and car changed the next day,, then went on the North Carolina to visit,,