Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

REPLACING 50 AMP MALE PLUG

2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

50amp coach

Over a year ago I had some sort of surge that ended up knocking out my ATS.  Had the ATS replaced and everything is fine.....

However, shortly after I noticed the plug (that plugs into the pedestal) would get hot.... not something you really check for, but when I'd go to unplug is was pretty darn hot.... I began to wonder.... "Was it hot before????" 

I began using a Progressive EMS-PT50x thinking it was a pedestal problem.... well, the EMS plug never got hot, but my coach plug was still getting hot when plugged into the EMS.

A couple days ago unplugging I noticed my plug was cracked and had some melting damage.  I ran another test at the next stop... plugged a 50 amp extension into the pedestal and them my plug into the extension.... only my plug was hot.... the extension plug was NOT hot....

My thought, when there was the surge a year ago it damaged one line at the plug causing resistance, thus heating up, causing more damage over time.

How to fix?  Replace the plug!

Here is the replacement... I found a Camco 50 amp plug at a nearby KOA. Home Depot, Lowes, nor Walmart had them in stock.  I did order one from Amazon but decided not to wait for that.

I'll keep that one as a spare.

I found a good Youtube video 

Here are my instructions, pretty much the same as he shows in the video.

Unplug coach.

Cut off plug several inches down (to be sure to be past any heat damage) with a hacksaw.

Remove black insulation around all wires 3" down.

Cut cloth stuff back to same as black insulation.

Cut wires to length shown in picture.  Green will be the longest, white the shorest.  Black and red are the same length between the two.

Strip all wires to have 3/4" showing

take each plug prong out, one at a time and attached to the appropriate colored wire. 

wait to replace prong into casing until all prongs are attached.

once all prongs are placed in the proper place (use picture)

once all are in place, place cover on and put the 3 short screws in and tighten.

once cover is on with it's 3 short screws put some sealant at location where you are about to place the holding clamp on.

once sealant is there, (be careful not to get sealant up into the plug housing), then place holding clamp and secure with the 2 long screws.

Pictures included have tools used. The only thing not in a razor knife used to get wire insulation off and measuring tape.

Tools:  Hacksaw, wire cutters (lineman plyers), phillips screwdriver, gloves, measuring tape, sealant.

Here is the part I used: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-PowerGrip-Replacement-Transform-55255/dp/B000PGVZ30/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=50+amp+plug&qid=1627742980&s=automotive&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRFVSWEpYTEpBRDVMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjgwNDY3OFhXVVJISDc5RzNMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTYxMTM0SDkyS0RFNDU4N00md2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

^^Do not use the video on Amazon for reference. That video is  for a 30 amp plug.

I got it from KOA for $24.  Less on Amazon but couldn't way 2 days.

Once I had the old plug off I check resistance... the line that was slowly melting over time had a much higher resistance than the other.

*****NOTE: Pictures are NOT in order... Yellow plug is the new one, black plug is the old.*****

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Edited by eric@babin.com

Eric, what will kill a plug faster than anything is plugging and unplugging when the Circuit Breaker is on. Arching will burn the pins and make the power hard to make connections and will heat up your plug, It is a good thing to do quit often is to clean the pins. Emory cloth and even an Emory Board will do the job.

Herman

Had the burning look on my old MH on the prongs, changed it out like you did.
Now with my PT-50X I leave the RV line plugged into it instead of unplugging it all the time causing the female prongs on the inside to get week. All I have to do is pick up the PT-50X, make sure the breaker box is switched off, plug in and turn on the breaker. When ready to go I only need to unplug the PT-50X male plug, carry that end over to my reel and push the button. Getting close I stop pick up the PT-50X and put it in the bay still attached to the RV plug. So far so good.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Eric, what will kill a plug faster than anything is plugging and unplugging when the Circuit Breaker is on. Arching will burn the pins and make the power hard to make connections and will heat up your plug, It is a good thing to do quit often is to clean the pins. Emory cloth and even an Emory Board will do the job.

Herman

Yes.... I always turn the breaker off prior to plugging in or out. 

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Had the burning look on my old MH on the prongs, changed it out like you did.
Now with my PT-50X I leave the RV line plugged into it instead of unplugging it all the time causing the female prongs on the inside to get week. All I have to do is pick up the PT-50X, make sure the breaker box is switched off, plug in and turn on the breaker. When ready to go I only need to unplug the PT-50X male plug, carry that end over to my reel and push the button. Getting close I stop pick up the PT-50X and put it in the bay still attached to the RV plug. So far so good.

Yes..... same here.