dbenoit

City Water filling tank

We have our MH connected to the city water port. I noticed the fresh water tank overflowing. I drained it and it eventfully filled back up and overflowed.

Is there some sort of a check valve somewhere between the fresh water tank and the city water?

Thanks, David

There is one in the pump. It is probably leaking to fill your fresh water tank. You can remove the head of the pump and disassemble to clean. May fix your problem. I carry a spare pump or a spare pump head for possible failures. 

Another possibility is the city/fill tank valve may not be set correctly. Or is also allowing leaking into tank. 

2 hours ago, rossboyer said:

Another possibility is the city/fill tank valve may not be set correctly. Or is also allowing leaking into tank. 

Yes it could be not closing all the way or leaking past. Try moving the valve back and forth a few times to see if it seals.

Bill

What you have is a bad check valve in your pump. Most of the time it is damaged when there is extremely high water pressure. It is expensive to replace a pump ever time you blow a check valve. The best thing you can do is go to your home improvement store and by a check valve and install it between the tank and the pump. about $6.00 and no more blown check valve in your pump. My check valve has been on my coach for over 10 years and the only time my fresh water tank has over flowed was when someone forgot to shut off the valve when filling the tank:wub:.

Herman

13 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

What you have is a bad check valve in your pump. Most of the time it is damaged when there is extremely high water pressure. It is expensive to replace a pump ever time you blow a check valve. The best thing you can do is go to your home improvement store and by a check valve and install it between the tank and the pump. about $6.00 and no more blown check valve in your pump. My check valve has been on my coach for over 10 years and the only time my fresh water tank has over flowed was when someone forgot to shut off the valve when filling the tank:wub:.

Herman

I've never had this issue, but it is something I'm waiting to see happen.  I never thought about just installing another check valve in line.  I may just do this and prevent it from happening should the pump check valve fail.  Great idea.

I wouldn't leave on a trip without an inline checkvalve, just like Herman described. I actually have one also installed at the point of entry of my shorewater, this helps in keeping the system pressurized in order to prevent the pump from coming on needlessly.

A pump head rebuild kit is about $25, if the motor is good you just saved a lot of money vs buying a complete new pump.

Just took a looky. Looks like an easy procedure. I bypassed the pump and really good increase in H2O pressure. Imma gonna orda 2.

My fifth wheel does the same thing. I have a shut off valve in the pump suction line so that the pump will pull from a jug for winterizing. I just keep that valve shut off and open it when I want to use the water from the tank.

14 hours ago, tom73 said:

My fifth wheel does the same thing. I have a shut off valve in the pump suction line so that the pump will pull from a jug for winterizing. I just keep that valve shut off and open it when I want to use the water from the tank.

That is not logical to me, or did you mean open the valve to draw water from your storage tank. Opening that valve draws contents from a jug not the storage tank.

On 8/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, rayin said:

That is not logical to me, or did you mean open the valve to draw water from your storage tank. Opening that valve draws contents from a jug not the storage tank.

No, my trailer has a shut off valve on the pump suction between the tank and the antifreeze line. To winterize with antifreeze you would shut the suction valve off and pull the plug on the antifreeze line.

44 minutes ago, tom73 said:

No, my trailer has a shut off valve on the pump suction between the tank and the antifreeze line. To winterize with antifreeze you would shut the suction valve off and pull the plug on the antifreeze line.

Got it! anti-freeze line has no valve, only a plug/cap.