paulmadrid2

House generator not picking up the load.

I have a 2017 Tiffin Allegro RED and on my last trip the generator stopped picking up the load.  It runs but won't transfer over.  The shore line still works fine, but the Onan just runs and the house batteries keep inverting.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Not knowing which model/size generator you have, you might need to open the cover on the generator to access the breakers.  

On my 7500 Onan the Circuit Breaker is on the start run panel on the drivers side of the Generator it is a 30 amp breaker and in clear sight, you can't miss it.

Off subject, I just serviced my generator. Oil filter, fuel filter, air cleaner and coolant. I would do all over anytime with the exception of the coolant. That is one difficult job. After draining the old coolant, very easy, you have to find the fill neck, which by the way is below the top level of the radiator. However it can be maneuvered so as to be higher then the top of the radiator. It takes 4 quart of coolant, I used Fleet Guard EL (1,000,000 miles) coolant. You have to put in a bit and wait about a hour for it to seep down then repeat till you think it is full. Run the generator which after about 5 minutes cuts off due to over heating. Repeat adding a bit at a time an so on. Need less to say I got it done but it took the better part of 2 days. (Best Left up to the Pros) 

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

On my 7500 Onan the Circuit Breaker is on the start run panel on the drivers side of the Generator it is a 30 amp breaker and in clear sight, you can't miss it.

Off subject, I just serviced my generator. Oil filter, fuel filter, air cleaner and coolant. I would do all over anytime with the exception of the coolant. That is one difficult job. After draining the old coolant, very easy, you have to find the fill neck, which by the way is below the top level of the radiator. However it can be maneuvered so as to be higher then the top of the radiator. It takes 4 quart of coolant, I used Fleet Guard EL (1,000,000 miles) coolant. You have to put in a bit and wait about a hour for it to seep down then repeat till you think it is full. Run the generator which after about 5 minutes cuts off due to over heating. Repeat adding a bit at a time an so on. Need less to say I got it done but it took the better part of 2 days. (Best Left up to the Pros) 

I replaced my thermostat at the same time. I poured the pre mixed antifreeze down into the block while the t-stat was out, installed the t-stat and filled the rest of it through the radiator cap (also replaced at that time) went much smother.