five

New Batteries

It's time for new coach batteries.  I currently have eight 6 volt AGMs with one inverter/charger.  The coach is all electric and we never dry camp.  Several in our RV group have gone from eight or four 6 volt batteries to either two 12 volt AGMs or two 6 volt AGMs.  They are about split in half, between two 12s or two sixes.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by five

IMO all that is required is enough capacity to overnight without power in an emergency. I have a 2, 12V deep cycle battery house bank which suffices when we must overnight at PFJ or WM because I became too tired to safely drive further..

If you decide to modify your house battery bank, take a picture first so the next owner has a record of the OEM configuration.

Edited by rayin

Five, I feel your pain!  I would go with 2 AGM 6V....longer ah on each than 12V.  I just replaced my 8 house and 2 engine batteries! :(

Bill, if I was 5 or 10 years younger, I would probably look into Ion Lith.

Edited by manholt

As with most RV upgrades what is YOUR return on investment for your comfort? Lith batteries for us would be an absolute waste of money. Since we all use these for different purposes some might only need enough house battery to start the generator. We do not boon dock, unless an over night for rest. Since we typically travel in summer the generator would be running for AC. Lately we’ve planned campgrounds along our route to give the generator a rest. 
I installed 6v AGM’s, went with the AGM only because our coach is plugged in all winter and where it sits I cannot get to the house batteries to check the water level without moving the coach. 

Five

Do you have "auto gen start"? That should cover you if you need to dry camp past the ability of the battery's. 

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

10 hours ago, manholt said:

Five, I feel your pain!  I would go with 2 AGM 6V....longer ah on each than 12V.  I just replaced my 8 house and 2 engine batteries! :(

Bill, if I was 5 or 10 years younger, I would probably look into Ion Lith.

I have a matched set of 6 lithium 12 volt 100 amp batteries waiting in my garage to be installed when I get home in a month.  I am replacing 4 lithiums that Ive had for 2 years.  I turned 81 years old last month!

Thanks for the input, guys.  Since I made that post I talked to one of our group who went with two 12 volt batteries.  We have similar coaches and he pointed out that I have four lines running from a positive battery post to somewhere in the coach.  With two 6 volts (wired in series) I would have to put all four on one positive battery post.  With two 12 volts, I could put two on each positive battery post...wired in parallel.  

AGMs for sure.

Lithiums are too expensive....they'll be great when the price gets reasonable.

As Carl noted, yes, I have an auto gen start.