FloridaFlash1

Michelin vs Continental

I purchased a Class A motorhome several months ago and I currently have out of date Michelin XRV 225/70R19.5 tires that need to be replaced.  If price was not a factor, would you replace them with the Michelin XZE tires or Continental Hybrid HS3 tires?  Or another brand?  I plan on replacing all 6 tires with all position tires soon.  Thanks

James,

Welcome to the Forum.

Michelin has been a softer ride but have a tendency to have side wall cracking around 5 year of age. As bm02tj said Continentals are a good choose, for myself, I am running Toyo now and am very pleased with them. 

Again Welcome,

Herman 

I have been using Michelin's for over 25 years on all of our MH's.  235/80R/22.5's for over 12 years now on our current MH. Just looking at the 3rd set.

I haven't had any issues or premature cracking/aging at all. 

I haven't noticed any reduction in quality over the last 25 years at all. 

Ian, you buy them at Big Tire or in USA?

Might be the size?....I run 365/70 steer and 315/70 drive & tag.  On my last coach I ran 315/70 on all 8. Had to buy new tires at 4 years, 6 mos.  BFG's was recommended....a year later, we got the current coach with DOT 7/18 Micheline, when I get new ones it will be Continentals or TOYO.

Welcome to the forum. 

On my last coach I replaced the aged out Michelin's with Continentals using the FMCA program. The Continentals  were over $100.00 cheaper each than the Michelin's discount price. I think the Continentals are as good as the Michelin's. On this coach the dealer put 6 Toyo's on and they have been great.

Bill

10 minutes ago, manholt said:

Ian, you buy them at Big Tire or in USA?

Might be the size?....I run 365/70 steer and 315/70 drive & tag.  On my last coach I ran 315/70 on all 8. Had to buy new tires at 4 years, 6 mos.  BFG's was recommended....a year later, we got the current coach with DOT 7/18 Micheline, when I get new ones it will be Continentals or TOYO.

I buy them at my local tire shop here in Canada. About 30 miles from my house. I always compare prices between US and Canada and find that once the currency exchange is factored in, that they are generally cheaper here. 

I am also a fan of Toyo's however they don't make the exact size I require for the MH. I know I could find a close match but I hate it when my speedometer/odometer is off. 

Unfortunately there are still no FMCA tire discount programs here in Canada. 

It isn’t that FMCA hasn’t tried to get discounts in Canada, but as I last heard it has to do with Canada government regulations that may not be true now. 

I changed out my cracked Michelins at five and a half years, for Continentals on the front.  A longer lasting tire for less money, plus FMCA discount.

18 hours ago, rossboyer said:

It isn’t that FMCA hasn’t tried to get discounts in Canada, but as I last heard it has to do with Canada government regulations that may not be true now. 

No Gov't regulations to do with Tires. Not sure where you heard that. Michelin in Canada  operates separately from Michelin in the US.

I believe negotiations with Michelin in Canada has been hindered by the much smaller number of FMCA members in Canada.

The only way to get Michelin to play ball would be for FMCA to lean on Michelin US by threatening to pull away from the US Michelin tire deal if Michelin doesn't do a deal in Canada. I don't think this would be very popular mover with the majority of the US FMCA members so I would guess that its a non starter.

Anyhow, in the grand scheme of things its not that much of big deal to me so not sure it's worth the effort on anyone's part.

Edited by ianbullock

My Michelins (235/80 R22.5) are way too old. I have gone through the program looking for Michelins first and Continentals second. I was told by a local dealer that Michelins are 6 month back ordered. Checked with two more dealers and got pretty much the same response. Continentals of a similar size are also in very short supply. The price break afforded by the program is very important. I’m looking at other brands (Toyo, Yokohama, Firestone, etc.) that offer measurements that are close but not exactly the same.

My question: Can anyone out there offer a size close to 235/80 R22.5 that is workable on my 07 Pace Arrow 36D?

You have been a member long enough to know, we don't solicit on the Forum!  Therefore we can't offer you anything but our opinion.

I’m not asking for a brand recommendation, only a tire size that can be substituted for my existing tires. I’ll make the decision for the brand when I can determine other sizes that can be safely used. How’s that?

The tire calculator like bm02tj posted a link to are fun to play with. On my last coach I went up to a 275 tire from a 255 and got a 6.6% overdrive. My current coach doesn't have as much room in the wheel wells and I dought I could go up in size.

Bill

In 2016 I replaced 8 Michelin 275/80R22.5 XZA3+ with Continental 295/75R22.5 "Hybrid HS3" ( on a suggestion from a Continental Engineer) Note: Continental change the name to "Conti HSL3" around 2019.    My experience after 15,000 miles and 5 yrs is the Continentals are  quiet and no side wall cracking, one small note, the Michelin's tread design tend to trap road stones in the tread where the HS3's(HSL3 tend to spit the stones out. Also of note, for balancing I used Balancing Bead packets by CounterAct (10oz for single, 12oz for Dual) each tire.

Edited by norewor05

On 8/28/2021 at 7:15 PM, norewor05 said:

...In 2016 I replaced 8 Michelin 275/80R22.5 XZA3+ with Continental 295/75R22.5 Hybrid HS3...

I realize you did this several years ago, but in case you didn't check to see what the different tires will do to your RPM, speed, etc, here's the chart:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

On 8/29/2021 at 7:54 PM, five said:

I realize you did this several years ago, but in case you didn't check to see what the different tires will do to your RPM, speed, etc, here's the chart:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I did check, it's really important to do that, I was working with an Engineer at Continental. Thanks for posting that link...Here's the comparison according to your chart.2139889303_ScreenShot2021-08-31at6_34_17PM.thumb.png.83c33027a9a2f58592a8903f618e6236.png

I purchased 6 of the Continental Conti Hybrid HS3 225/70R19.5 tires from Snider Fleet Solutions in NC and they honored the current FMCA discounted rate of $319 each + FET of $4.44 each.  The branch manager even said that that was the lowest price he could sell the tires to anyone for, so that was good to hear.  Thank you FMCA for your tire discount program.