TheZrving

Loosing hot water

Well I am stumped!! We have a 2018 Pace Arrow 38k with Elec/gas 10 gallon water heater.

When any faucet or shower is turned on we get good hot water for about a minute then goes cold. I've checked outside shower valves to make sure both are off. Took out check valve, looked over and verified it was not sticking and moving correctly. Does same on either gas or electric.

Anyone with thoughts?

You're saying you've got good flow after a minute but the water get cold.  That would indicate it's not coming from the water heater.  If it were the check valve, the flow would slow down or stop if it were malfunctioning.  I'd guess the winter bypass valves aren't completely set for summer and preventing full flow through the water heater.  What happens when only the hot water faucet is opened?

Some bypass setups have a check valve on the back of the water heater at the bypass valve.  Is that the check valve you looked at?  Others have 3 valves that must be turned for winter bypass.

Edited by moonwink

2 hours ago, TheZrving said:

When any faucet or shower is turned on we get good hot water for about a minute then goes cold.

How long do you have to wait before the water will flow hot again? I would agree that the winter bypass valves probably are not set correctly.

OK, I'm no plumber, but if you turn any of your faucets on to hot/cold, do you have the same problem?  If not, you have a problem with your shower regulator.

16 hours ago, TheZrving said:

image.thumb.png.2b6d60e9b7dd17b8dbf9a97c1a8627f3.pngThis is the only valve I can locate on the coach

image.png

Check the linkage behind this panel, it's possible something has slipped out of adjustment.

Since this is a three way valve, I am suspecting that it is plumbed incorrectly, that is the reason for wanting to know if it has ever worked correctly, or has someone else moved some piping.

I am trying to understand How you can control/winterize with one valve? 

Kay I don't see this as a 3way valve.

I would look as there may be a acess panel to get to the back of the water heater. I would find it and look at the plumbing on the back of the heater.

Bill

Where is your water heater?  Probably there are one or more check valves that work in combination with the bypass valve to prevent flow of water into the heater. While our Fleetwood Expedition is newer than yours, I had to remove two drawers and the wood panel behind the bypass valve to get very difficult access to the rear of the heater to replace the proportioning valve. While doing so, I had to replace 3 or 4 flex lines because the seals would not stop leaking. I finally made my own hoses by using brass fittings and clamps with larger reinforced flex hose. Would not want to do it again, but all is working well. 

I brought the Swan industries web site up, they describe it to be a three way valve. Therefore it will have multiple pipes connected to it, I tried to find a diagram, but have been unsuccessful so far, although the company says it was designed for HR, Monaco and others. This valve comes with a brass check valve.  https://swanindustries.com/products/copy-of-rmv336akp-manual-water-heater-bypass-kit Being a three way valve, one position directs the water into the tank, the other position directs the cold water across to the hot water pipe away from the tank, the check valve inserted into the tank prevents the water from hot side entering back towards the HW tank. This check valve may be malfunctioning, or installed incorrectly, the arrow must be installed pointing away from the tank.

Edited by kaypsmith

Manholt...All faucets and shower do same thing..Minute or two hot then cold

Kaypsmith..We are second owner..has never worked for us, would assume it worked for first owner

Rayin..I was wondering how one valve would work in the place of normally 3 for bypass. So there is some type of linkage system?

I am not able to find any access to water heater. What I can see, there is no sign of three way.

rossboyer...Our heater is located in very back of coach, under vanity. There is a louvered wood panel for heat to escape and a access panel under the sink. neither

allows any water heater access. I can see/feel several braided lines leaving mixing valve and going through the check valve..No Bypass

Kaypsmith..I did remove the check valve and verified the flow direction and that it was operating correctly

The valve that you pictured is an either bypass or normal, that makes a three way, the cold water either goes into the HW heater, or it bypasses. Thanks for answering that it has never worked correctly. The previous owner probably either worked on it himself or had it worked on by someone else. The valve should have three pipes attached, one should have cold water in, one should have cold water from the in to the cold water inlet to the water heater, the other should have (in bypass mode) cold water to the hot water supply away from the hot water outlet of the hot water heater. If any pipes are incorrectly plumbed to the water heater, it will cause the same symptoms as you are having. Remember inlet and outlet could be backwards which will cause the same effects. If the cold water is hooked to the outlet and vice versa for hot. If cold water enters through the inlet then it is carried to the bottom of the tank with a pipe inside the tank which forces the hot water out of the outlet side. Since this a gas/electric heater, there should be access to the outside of the coach, usually a vented door with a funny looking thumbknob, probably turns one way to allow the door to open.

Edited by kaypsmith

2 hours ago, TheZrving said:

If the valve is piped incorrect, wouldn't I have no hot water? Not even the 1-2 minutes I am getting.

Is it working correctly or not?

35 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

I think it is time to call Fleetwood and ask them how it is suppose to work and get some diagrams.

I get plenty hot water, have a six gallon tank, wife and I use a lot of it. There must be something wrong with yours, and that's why several have offered remedies. Have you tried turning the valve to bypass mode to see if it works correctly in this position?

Edited by kaypsmith

Had a plumber friend come over and look at it (he is also a Rver). He believes the problem is with mixing valve. Going to try and find a higher quality(residential) one and relocate it to point where it will be accessible in future. I will report back when done.