jpatzold

US/Canada Border Crossing With Pet Parrots

My wife and I are traveling from California to British Columbia, Canada, with our two Conures. We talked to the Canadian authorities and recieved specific information on what they want, BUT our worry is the re-entry into the U.S.

Getting the birds back into the U.S. is presently vague.

Can anybody give us the requirements for documentation, or direct us to the location of any information pertaining to this issue? All information found so far addresses Import or export and is not specific to what is required for pet birds.

The birds are about 2 years old, U.S. born, and always in our possession.

The issue is what documentation, if any, is required by the U.S. border personnel?

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/ani...sion/ipdnew.pdf

Please read the above. It should help a lot. It is a pdf of a document I found just by googling your question.

Peggy, F401999

Peggy;

Thank you for your rapid response. We too have gathered several pounds (approximately 1,000 X the birds weight) of PDF information about the "export and Import of exotic pet birds". As with most government documents the threads are endless and circulatory.

We were hoping to get someone to comment on their experience about the subject.

Again thank you for your help.

I was wondering the same sort of thing. We are heading from Ca. To N.Y. state with our 2 Shar-Pei dogs. We wanted to go to Canada to see that side of Niagara falls . everything I have read is so confusing . We have a rabies certificate but then I read that you need a health Certificate to go into Canada. Will I got one for each dog from our Vet. $50. each the problem is they are dated 4-20-2013 they expire in 30 days. We won't even be yet. So what do we do now ? I have the feeling it was a waste of $100.

So if they don't let us in Canada so what but if they do can we get back into the US ?
and of course I just put the 15 pounds of prescription dog kibble into Gal. jars for easier storage and now I read about the dog food thing. It almost makes you want to just stay home and forget the whole thing.

This was going to be our "Bucket List" trip to see all the places we have never seen and visit family along the way. It feels like it is turning into a headache.

Any suggestions?

Kathleen Manoff

We plan to travel from New York state into Canada in June with our 2 year old black lab. What is an authoritative information source on what we need to do? A previous post eluded to "dog food" as an issue. Does the dog food have to be in an original container?

Dog food is an issue coming into the US, but not into Canada.

We feed Ol'Roy Walmart food, but that didn't seem to matter, they confiscated it anyway on the US side.

But in recent years they have not been asking about dog food at our border crossing (going into Maine).

We have never been asked about it going into Canada.

Note that there are other items the US Customs don't like, fresh meat, tomatoes and other things.

Evening,

We live in the Niagara Falls, NY area and travel to Canada a few times a season with our Corgi Oliver. You will need your states dog license certificate and vet dated proof of rabies vaccine for the dog same for cats. As for the humans, you will need a current passport for anyone over 16 years old. For those younger you will need original birth certificates with raised seal.

Hope this is helpful, if anyone has specific questions please let me know and we will do our best to answer.