Sign in to follow this  
Tiffin driver53

Blue Ox towbars

Looking to buy a tow bar soon. Just purchased a '13 GMC Terrain AWD to tow behind my Tiffin.  What is the simplest brake box to buy for it? Could you just run a cord from the motor home to the toad and plug into the box? Without buying all that wiring harnesses?

I think the OP is referring to a Brake Buddy or similar. If so, the answer would be no, because you still need the wiring for lights. Suggest you look on Roadmaster’s wb site and look at the various wiring diagrams which will answer your questions. 

Whatever brake solution you use, you'll want it to be fully proportional.  Meaning you don't want the brakes on your towed applied any stronger than necessary.

I favorite solution is the ReadyBrake from NSA.  You can buy one of their towbars with the ReadyBrake built into it or buy the ReadyBrake by itself and use it with any towbar.  It doesn't require any electric.  It used the weight of the towed to pull on the brake pedal.  The harder the towed pushes on the MH, the harder it pulls on the brake pedal. 

Yes, you'll still need a wiring harness to have the tail lights work after dark.  Your stop lights will work off your brake pedal but I always use a set of diodes in the wiring to the stop/tail lights to wire in the MH stop/tail lights to towed.  I think I've seen some wireless systems advertised but not sure if they're fully self contained with their own battery or rely on the towed's battery. 

(disclaimer:  I am in no way connected to NSA - just a very satisfied user)

Here's a link to one of their towbars with an antimated gif showing how it works:

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p284/Ready_Brute_Elite_II.html

brake_animated_drawing_cropped_down_alot_animated_gif.thumb.gif.3b207b7a52c656305686daea25cfff08.gif

Edited by moonwink

I have used a Blue Ox 10,000 lb. tow bar and a Brake Buddy for many years and both still give great service.   Easy and quick to connect or disconnect and to change to another vehicle when desired.  It also is proportional braking.

Just bought my second Blue Ox 10,000 lb. Tow Bar and I would buy another one when the time comes. I have used the M & G Engineering Brake. I have used it on 4 different vehicle and like it very much. Both have served us well.

Herman

How does the M&G Brake work? Is it electric or like a surge brake? I'm thinking of going to a local Blue Ox dealer and have him set it up for me so long as he doesn't rip me off. I think this company is local, and works with people well, and seems to have a lot of repeat business, so it's not like going to Camper World.

3 hours ago, Tiffin driver53 said:

How does the M&G Brake work? Is it electric or like a surge brake? I'm thinking of going to a local Blue Ox dealer and have him set it up for me so long as he doesn't rip me off. I think this company is local, and works with people well, and seems to have a lot of repeat business, so it's not like going to Camper World.

https://m-gengineering.com/

Where are you located?

On 8/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, charlieiam said:

I have used a Blue Ox 10,000 lb. tow bar and a Brake Buddy for many years and both still give great service.   Easy and quick to connect or disconnect and to change to another vehicle when desired.  It also is proportional braking.

I have a Blue Ox system as well....works fine, it's on it's second CRV.

On 8/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, moonwink said:

Whatever brake solution you use, you'll want it to be fully proportional.  Meaning you don't want the brakes on your towed applied any stronger than necessary.

I favorite solution is the ReadyBrake from NSA.  You can buy one of their towbars with the ReadyBrake built into it or buy the ReadyBrake by itself and use it with any towbar.  It doesn't require any electric.  It used the weight of the towed to pull on the brake pedal.  The harder the towed pushes on the MH, the harder it pulls on the brake pedal. 

Yes, you'll still need a wiring harness to have the tail lights work after dark.  Your stop lights will work off your brake pedal but I always use a set of diodes in the wiring to the stop/tail lights to wire in the MH stop/tail lights to towed.  I think I've seen some wireless systems advertised but not sure if they're fully self contained with their own battery or rely on the towed's battery. 

(disclaimer:  I am in no way connected to NSA - just a very satisfied user)

Here's a link to one of their towbars with an antimated gif showing how it works:

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p284/Ready_Brute_Elite_II.html

brake_animated_drawing_cropped_down_alot_animated_gif.thumb.gif.3b207b7a52c656305686daea25cfff08.gif

Thanks a lot for the info!!!! Looks like this is the simplest and cheapest way to go. Just wondering how much of a job getting that cable installed will be. I don't figure on towing in the dark, so maybe I can get by without the lighting kit for now. Maybe just order a set of Blue Ox baseplate and hook ups and then order the NSA bar.

26 minutes ago, Tiffin driver53 said:

Thanks a lot for the info!!!! Looks like this is the simplest and cheapest way to go. Just wondering how much of a job getting that cable installed will be. I don't figure on towing in the dark, so maybe I can get by without the lighting kit for now. Maybe just order a set of Blue Ox baseplate and hook ups and then order the NSA bar.

I think because of weight, you are required to have lights. Our state only allows small utility trailers to be towed without lights and only in daylight hours. 

Wow!!! Towbar setups are getting expensive!!!! Was at Camping WOrld in Madison, WI this weekend, they quoted me $5100 for a Roadmaster system with their braking system installed. At $149/hr I'm going to shop around!!! Still looking to do the NSA bar. Going to have to find a dealer that can install it. I called NSA and they quoted me $2300 for the whole system. Not sure what it's going to cost me for installation. Some of these braking systems are really overpriced, IMHO.......

Just in case no-one has told you, traveling and camping with a MH is the most expensive  choice. I would not travel without lighting on the towed vehicle, the liability is too great.

You stated you were in Dodgeville.... many folks have had Kings in Wausau put their base plate, towbar, and brake system in ( I had them do a 2020 Gladiator for me) and I've had Brickners of Antigo do two Blue Ox baseplates for me - one on a 2011 Jeep and one on a 2020 Jeep.... all using a Blue Ox Patriot Brake system -- none cost anywhere near what you were quoted.

On 8/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, Tiffin driver53 said:

It goes between the power brake and the master cylinder.  Air pressure from the rear MH brakes activates the toad brakes.  I think its the best braking system,  have been using for years. Only connection is the air line.