RonaldNC

Leveling After Dumping Air

I just purchased a new 2009 Monaco Cayman (and love it!). I've been reading through the owner's manual about leveling procedures, which states:

=======================

Safety Features:

The leveling system has safety features to prevent a jack from extending during travel. The control panel will not activate until these safety features are in place.

- Ignition is switched ON and the engine is running.

- Transmission is in Neutral.

- Park brake is applied.

Prior to Leveling

- Chassis battery voltage must be at least 12 Volts DC.

- Park the motorhome on solid, level ground. If the motorhome is parked on an excessive slope, the motorhome must be moved to a solid, level surface before the leveling system is deployed.

- Apply the park brake.

- Place the gear selector in Neutral.

- Lower the air suspension by stepping on the brake several times until system air pressure is below 60 psi. With the ignition on, push and hold the Air Dump switch to lower the suspension. This reduces the amount the jack will need to extend before making contact with the surface.

===========================

My question is... since the engine must be running while performing the leveling process, won't the air suspension automatically refill after you dump them? I understand the need to dump the air, so that you bring the motorhome closer to the ground, but I don't get how this is possible with the engine running.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

Ron

We have a slightly different system but I think your answer is that when you dump air, the unit will not re-inflate the air bags until you put the unit in gear. That is the way ours works. So we are able to dump air with the engine running and it stays down unless we put the leveling system back in travel mode or put the transmission in gear.

Also, note that it says with the ignition on, you may not have to have the engine running, try it. With our leveling system, we can just turn the key to the on position without starting the engine and the leveling system will operate. With the ignition key off the leveling system will not operate. Without the engine running, the leveling system is working entirely off the batteries. Strong batteries can handle that but it is slower than with the engine running.

Tom,

Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work. The levelers will not work without the engine running (this agrees with the owner's manual)... and with the engine running, it fills the bags... even when in neutral.

I've put a call into Monaco... will let you know what they tell me.

Thanks!

Ron

We are long-time campers but first-time Class A owners. Unfortunately we didn't get any instructions about leveling our 37' Fleetwood Discovery since we purchased it used. Where can we find detailed information on the entire process of leveling? Some say wheels can be off the ground others say NEVER. We're on our 1st trip and have a relatively level site so we are not using the leveling system this time. But we need specific instructions to follow and haven't been able to find anything Googling. HELP!!!

Josiebops,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Hopefully, someone else with a Discovery will tell you how Fleetwood suggests doing it. WHAT YEAR IS YOUR DISCOVERY?

Irrespective of any other advice, NEVER allow a rear wheel off the ground-- they are the parking brake and your coach could roll if the wheels clear the ground!

Since you have a Fleetwood product, I assume you have a Power Gear leveling system. You can download an owner's manual on line. Also, it says NEVER let the wheels go of the ground. We have violated that policy a few times when in a very rough area...I just chock the wheels.

I already have the owner's manual but this is what it says under Leveling System

Controls for the leveling system are located in the driver area.

A detailed operating and maintenance guide is included in your

Owner's Information Package. Read all instuctions for this

system carefully before operating the system.

The Owner's Information Package is what I didn't get with the unit.

Can anyone help with my dilemma??

By the way, the unit is a 1998 Discovery.

It's in excellent condition in, out & mechanically.

We don't want to damage the frame or anything else.

Did contact Fleetwood direct. Hoping they can send me a PDF file of the Owner's Information Package.

Thanks, again.

Welcome to the FMCA forums.

You probably have a either a Kwikee or now Power Gear leveling system. Go to this website and enter the information required in the Lookup Screen:

http://www.powergearus.com/tech-docs?part=1&parttype_id=PS-14&cat=4&bypart=Find+Docs

"Select Part Category"- Leveling System

"Select Part Type" - (Choose the system you have) mine is "Level Best". Yours could be Hydraulic-Automatic, Hydraulic- Semi-Automatic, etc. Note that the Fleetwood/AMC selection will give you the current equipment installed by Fleetwood. If all else fails, select "Hydraulic-Controls, general" and look at the descriptions.

"Select Document Category" - Operations Manual

It may take some time to look at various selections but the information you need should be there.

Hope this helps.

Note: it is still the coach manufacturer who specs in what ORDER to deploy/store slides and jacks. Some have you level first, then extend slides. Some call for slides to be deployed first.

There is no "one answer fits all". Please do check with your coach builder unless someone with the same make and model can quote from their manual for you.

Brett