Motorhomer

2 Power Transfer Switches?

I have a Fourwinds 32ft Hurricane class A gas motorhome with 30amp hookup and a 4.5KW generator. I am trying to add a 3000 watt inverter. I took off the paneling covering the back of the electronic equipment ie. power panel, converter charger and power transfer and low and behold there are 2 power transfer switches. They are identical Lyght Power Systems LPT30s. Would anyone know why 2? I was planning on cutting in after the transfer switch and before the main breaker panel but 2 switches!

Motorhomer, The best thing you could do is see if the Coach builder can supply you with a PDF file that cover your 120 volt system drawings, There are a number of ways they  wire the Coaches. Then a member or members of the Forum can offer there thoughts on why the coach was wired the way it is !

Does the coach currently have an inverter / charger? A number of Class A coaches come with an inverter Or they offer it as an option.

Rich.

Thanks for the thoughts and I did try that avenue. Fourwinds is no longer and Thor is the company that took it over. I did contact Thor and they said it was too old and they had no info on that unit any more. Also it did not come with an inverter so I'm starting from scratch.

Is the coach wired for 50 amp or 30? I.e. what plug do you have and what gauge power cord is it?

Edited by jleamont

As jleamont asked about the coach hookup, 30 or 50 amp is a must to know how to begin your answer plus the amperage of the installed transfer switch. I used two transfer switches on my coach, one is for shore power and generator, it is a 50 amp. The other one is because I used an older MSW inverter, one that has no passthrough capabilities, it is wired to second circuit breaker panel (30 amp), this transfer switch activates when the inverter is turned on. Just saying for others to understand the reasoning for two ATS's in some, not all cases.

The  OP stated that the coach is currently wired with a 30 amp shore power setup.

To do this job correctly, I think it will be necessary to install a 50 amp shore power, to a dual 50 amp main breaker  box with the necessary number of circuit breakers. 

The roof AC units can not be run on a 3000 watt inverter. This means one needs to split them out of any load on the inverter. 

Does the current coach have one or two roof AC units?

Thinking the OP needs to decide what he wants to power from the Inverter and supply how OP Owner would supply them from what source, is a key factor in setting up the inverter; supplied circuits.

Rich.

Rayin Thank you for the info on the transfer switch but the transfer switch works or I should say both. When the generator fires up it takes over power just as it should. As for the question on my system amperage. It is a 30amp. I know that sometimes a 50amp service could have 2 transfer switches because the 50 amp is 2 110v feeds but no mine is just 30amp.

I believe your transfers switches Lyght Power Systems LPT30 is now a ESCO LPT30. Check out this place and maybe one of their tech cam shed some light on your question

www.dyersonline.com

Herman

Motorhomer, 

THIS is the model of the time delay relay, it is used when you start the generator. It keeps the load off the generator for set time before connecting the generator to the main 120 volt power panel, LPT30-TIME Time Delay TD 30

This is the model of the main shore power 20791-84 Relay DC 30A DPDT. This relay transfers the main power between the generator side and the shore power side.

This information form should be in or mounted to the main 30 amp breaker box . This list should inform you of the wiring to all the 120 volt circuits are going or what each breaker powers.

This is the area you need to decide what circuits you want  the Inverter to power when running and when the inverter is connected to shore power so these circuits get 120 Ac from the bypass output of the 3000 Watt inverter.( need to figure out how to power the inverter input from the shore power or generator output.)

This is the tricky part of the circuit to figure out .

The Inverter installation manual does cover this well in most cases.

Rich.