Sign in to follow this  
TheZrving

Toad Protection

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, and I have read what I could find. Looking for personal opinions on what people have experienced.

I have a DP, single axle with rear radiator...Towing Grand Cherokee with BlueOx tow bar

I have decided against the large rock guard/mud flap under coach and decided to go with specific toad protection.

First, trying to decide between solid shield type in front of toad grill or screen type on top of tow bar

Based on that direction: BlueOx Kargard vs Guardian Rockshield  or

Protect-a-tow vs Tow Defender

Thanks for your assistance in advance

Many auto manufacturers state to not use the shields in front of the grill. They do not want the air flow restricted. I have found that mud guards mounted right behind the rear wheels and a full guard across the rear to be best. While the mud guards behind the wheels should be very near the road, the rear one should be about 6” above the road. 

Edited by rossboyer

Ross is right, the full-width flap will kick up road debris and stones if 4" or less from the pavement. I'm getting set to remove my full-width flap and install dually mud flaps behind the rear wheels, 4" from the pavement JIC I must drive crushed stone roads again. Dually mud flaps are quite inexpensive at truck stops, and it only took one to do both sides for my MH. I cut it in half and punched new holes in the bottom half for bolting to the MH.

Even with only my full-width flap, when I start my pickup we tow, the electric radiator fans come on at full speed for approx. 3 minutes after unhooking from the MH.

I used a bra for awhile on one car.  They're not practical at all.  You really need to have the car clean before putting them on.  If the car isn't clean, the felt lining will rub the grime off and grind it into your paint. 

Ditto on making sure the full width flap is 4-5 inches high on level ground or it will kick up rocks from the payment as you drive making things worse.

I've been using a Protect-a-Tow for many years now.  At first, I was putting it under the towbar but my towbar tabs are so low and my overhang so long, I scraped holes in my first one.  I replaced it and now stretch it over the towbar these days.  It works great that way.  I like the Protect-a-Tow because it's easy and quick to put on or take off plus it stores away in a small bag when not in use. 

Regardless of you're using, when driving in the rain, your towed is going to be covered in grime.  It never seems to rain hard enough to wash that stuff off.

Thanks for feed back.  After contacting Protect-a-tow, they stated that their product can't be used with rear exhaust of DP

Going to look into larger dually mud flaps for directly behind wheels as rayin suggested and kind of monitor toad for next couple weeks/month