eric@babin.com

UNUSUAL TREAD WEAR / DAMAGE

2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Tires: Michelin XZA2 ENERGY 295 80R22.5 

Position: Front / driver's (steer tire)

These tires were put on a little over 2 years ago

I just noticed some unusual damage, can't be normal tread wear. The inner portion of the most outside tread looks as if it's been shaved off about 1/8 inch, but only in strips about 2/3 around the tire.

Strangely, it's not a continuous cut/shave.  It seems to be thin, thick, thin, almost nothing, then same pattern again about 2/3s around the tire. About 1/3 shows no damage. 

Inspecting the tire and it doesn't seem to have enough damage to be immediately concerned, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Wondering if anyone can tell me what may cause this?  (For one pic I wet the tire to see if that would help see the damage.)

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Edited by eric@babin.com

First thing to have checked would be the alignment. Steering components could cause this issue. The other could be a defective shock absorber. Does not look like a defective tire issue. Where a you located. That would help locating a shop close by. I would NOT put to many miles on that tire until you get the issue and tire replaced 

18 hours ago, eric@babin.com said:

2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Tires: Michelin XZA2 ENERGY 295 80R22.5 

Position: Front / driver's (steer tire)

These tires were put on a little over 2 years ago

I just noticed some unusual damage, can't be normal tread wear. The inner portion of the most outside tread looks as if it's been shaved off about 1/8 inch, but only in strips about 2/3 around the tire.

Strangely, it's not a continuous cut/shave.  It seems to be thin, thick, thin, almost nothing, then same pattern again about 2/3s around the tire. About 1/3 shows no damage. 

Inspecting the tire and it doesn't seem to have enough damage to be immediately concerned, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Wondering if anyone can tell me what may cause this?  (For one pic I wet the tire to see if that would help see the damage.)

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Eric, Looks like the Tow in or Tow out  setting is off!

Rich.

These pictures and explanation seem to indicate  incorrect camber might be the problem. Michelin Truck tire PDF seems to indicate loose wheel bearings or counter-steering due to drive axle mis-alignment.

That is a very important part of having a vehicle aligned, a drive axle mis-alignment is also the main cause of the steering wheel not sitting level when driving straight. Mine was out by 3/4", since the total alignment steering is more like driving my pickup than previous to the total alignment, which BTW cost me $300 at a local HDT repair shop.

18 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

I agree with Ray. I would make shure it was loaded like you were leaving on a trip. My last coach was off more than Ray's

Bill

Exactly! MH should be fully-loaded and ride-height be at designated measurements prior to alignment for best results. Now I use cruise-control regularly, otherwise I find myself driving at 70 MPH instead of my normal 62 MPH.

Edited by rayin

Sorry folks. Looks like I fell down on the job of monitoring this forum.

RE: eric@babin   the OP.  The wear is not "Damage" but is what is called River Wear.  There was a similar post on an RV forum and it is a wear pattern that can occur on non-drive positions.

According to the Tire Maintenance Counsel Division of The American Trucking Association "Radial Tire Conditions Analysis Guide"

It is called "Erosion/River/Channel wear"  It' appearance is Circumferential wear along rib edges next to a major groove.   The "Cause" A slow wear rate on free rolling axles. It may vary with individual tread designs.  They say "Erosion wear should not be of concern"

You could try reversing the direction of rotation by swapping tire position or place the tires on a drive position.

This condition is not covered in the link that RAYIN shared but is covered in the TMC Radial Tire Conditions Analysis Guide  You can order a copy HERE.

It is a bit pricy for non-tire engineer but at over 140 pages it covers just about any tire condition you might run into.

TMC.jpg