HMCSW

Spring over the mountains

We are planning a trip from Portland Or to Upstate New York in the Spring. We will be taking 84 from Portland to Salt Lake City then 80 to Cheyenne Wy. Anybody  have an idea of when the mountain passes are typically free from traction tire or chain requirement? We are thinking on leaving in late March. Thanks all.

I know in Colorado, chains are required to be carried from Sept 1st to may 31st.  I did some quick googling, but couldnt find any date restrictions in utah, california or wyoming.

Chains are relatively cheap.  I always carry a set with me in my motorhome as well as spider bungie cords.  Haven't had to use them yet, but there have been a few times i thought i might need them.

THanks: the other are the same. I will be getting Autosocks not chains. A friend of mine had a chain break and the damage to the coach was unreal. 

On 9/9/2021 at 8:19 PM, HMCSW said:

THanks: the other are the same. I will be getting Autosocks not chains. A friend of mine had a chain break and the damage to the coach was unreal. 

Approx. 15-20 MPH is maximum safe speed with chains.

EDIT: I was wrong, CALTRANS says 25-30 MPH. https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls   and https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls

Edited by rayin

On 9/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, aztec7fan said:

I know in Colorado, chains are required to be carried from Sept 1st to may 31st.  I did some quick googling, but couldnt find any date restrictions in utah, california or wyoming.

Chains are relatively cheap.  I always carry a set with me in my motorhome as well as spider bungie cords.  Haven't had to use them yet, but there have been a few times i thought i might need them.

Thanks, all the sites to Nebraska require devices into May. A few require truck to carry 3 sets. I think we are good with one set of AutoSocks.

I edited my previous post to include links to CALTRANS concerning speed limits when running chains. Those links state for heavy-duty vehicles actual link chains are required.

Edited by rayin

On 9/9/2021 at 1:06 AM, aztec7fan said:

That September 1 through May 1 chain requirement in Colorado only applies to I-70. If you avoid I-70, you don’t need to carry chains. 

The I-70 crossing of the Rockies is the steepest and highest of the three interstates (70, 80 and 90) that cross those mountains.

• The highest point on I-70 is approximately  12,000 feet.
  • The highest point on I-80 is approximately 8,000 feet.
  • The highest point on I-90 is only 6,000 feet.

I find it hard to believe we are even having a discussion of chaining up these beasts.  It would take some type of family emergency to get me to go anywhere in the snow....and most likely it would not be in the MH.  Yes, I can drive in winter weather, born and raised in snow country.  However, at this point in my life....why do it?

Edited by five

15 hours ago, five said:

I find it hard to believe we are even having a discussion of chaining up these beasts.  It would take some type of family emergency to get me to go anywhere in the snow....and most likely it would not be in the MH.  Yes, I can drive in winter weather, born and raised in snow country.  However, at this point in my life....why do it?

Five, I agree. Emergency only. I refuse to move ours during the winter months. I also wait for a few soaking spring rains to wash all of the caustic junk off the roads before I consider moving it. Our regular vehicles only have a life span 6-8 years due to extreme rust and corrosion and they are paid off in 5. Can’t imagine that level of rust and corrosion on the coach, it would be devastating!! 

17 minutes ago, manholt said:

Well Joe, that is now a moot point....you can run it all year long & no snow!  Like me. 😂

YUP, no more winterizing also!

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

YUP, no more winterizing also!

Speaking of winterizing; today I bought a case of RV antifreeze (-50°F) for $2.69/G.

I  am glad I don't have to do the whole "winterizing" mess. On those few occasions where it may get to cold I will leave the oasis on and basement heat.

Bill

On 10/5/2021 at 7:09 PM, rayin said:

Speaking of winterizing; today I bought a case of RV antifreeze (-50°F) for $2.69/G.

A couple of weeks ago, our Wally World had their Prestone on sale for $1 a gallon.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:23 AM, manholt said:

Rayin, how much of the Pink stuff do you use in your coach? 

FIVE, a buck a gallon is about right.  :P

Since we've already completely hyjacked HMCSW's thread; our MH requires  2½ G including the drains. Sorry I took so long responding, we were at an Indiana state recreation area (Raccoon lake CG)for 5 days and they don't have WiFi or reliable (1 bar) cell service there.

Ross come on down to Bloomington Menards to get the $2.69/G price.

1 hour ago, rayin said:

Since we've already completely hyjacked HMCSW's thread; our MH requires  2½ G including the drains. Sorry I took so long responding, we were at an Indiana state recreation area (Raccoon lake CG)for 5 days and they don't have WiFi or reliable (1 bar) cell service there.

Ross come on down to Bloomington Menards to get the $2.69/G price.

Menards here in Anderson dropped the price to $2.69. They are still the lowest I have seen in this area