rwhit323

Best Roadside Assistance Insurance?

Hi All,

I am looking for the best roadside assistance insurance company.  Not the cheapest.  I have been with Progressive since 2012 and had two good experiences with them.  But they left me high and dry on interstate 95 in Georgia on 10/1/21.  Both right rear tires blew simultaneously (18 month old tires).  We called Progressive and were told help was on the way.  They actually wanted to tow it even though we told them it cannot be towed, we need them fixed.  And they asked us who they should call!   But the sad part was, we had to call three times and start the claim over each time,  losing almost five hours before they told us we were on our own and they could not help us.  Luckily we found a commercial tire company that came out and changed both tires.   So my question is who is the best?  If Progressive cannot send someone out to fix flat tires, I cannot use them.  

Every one seems to have faults so it is hit and miss 

Pick the most important items and ask each one and hope they live up to there claim

Best roadside assistance. Self insurance. You call a tire vendor and pay them upon completion IMHO. this way hasn’t let us down so far. None of the others are in it for you, they are a business protecting their bottom line PROFIT. That’s why most wait so long, your RS call goes to the lowest service provider in that area.  if the job rate doesn’t meet their requirements, you are stranded and on your own anyway. 
Being in the trucking industry (fleet repair) we see it way too often. 

Agree with Joe....but if you got to have one, we prefer Coach Net for the bigger coaches that we changed to in 2006.  Before that, we had Good Sam for about 35 years!

rwhit --

Welcome to the forum!  There are many great forum members willing to provide help at any time!

Regarding your question,  until 18 months ago I had Good Sam Roadside Assistance for my previous coach (2007 Damon Astoria) and for my current coach.  I fortunately only had to use Good Sam help once when the serpentine belt on the Astoria shredded because the A/C compressor locked-up while driving home from an LSU football game on a Sunday afternoon on I-10 in Louisiana.  It took Good Sam ~four hours to find a heavy duty towing company to that had a wrecker available to tow the Astoria to a repair shop.  Being the first time to use Good Sam's service, I don't know if a 4 hour wait time was excessive or not.   I was just glad a tow truck was found!

18 months ago when it was time to renew the Good Sam Roadside Assistance the annual cost had increased dramatically to $150 per year which sent me shopping.  I decided to used FMCA's Roadside Rescue with Safe Ride RV Motor Club roadside assistance which has better benefits than Good Sam and purchased a two year contract with Safe Ride for $75 per year.   Fortunately I haven't needed to use Safe Ride's services !!

When my current Safe Ride contract nears expiration I'll compare the renewal cost with the cost for Good Sam and others.   I view road side assistance as relatively inexpensive insurance to make life a bit less stressful. 

Also, if I struggled to get tire service through a roadside assistance policy, I would contact Pilot/Flying J or Love's both of whom provide 24/7 emergency service including tire repair/replacement.  

Again, welcome to the forum!

Thanks everyone for the good input. None of them I researched (so far) actually come out and repair the tire.  They will help you change a tire.  I find this interesting since most class A's do not come with a spare anymore (that I know of).  That being said I tend to agree with self sufficiency.  I switched from 30 years of cruising sailboats  to RVing a few years ago and got complacent with roadside assistance insurance.  I will always have the tools to remove the tire(s) and take them to a shop myself.  Or even better, find a spare and find a place to stow it.

Thanks again. 

For anyone interested Couch.net (https://coach-net.com/247-protect-2/)  is the only road side assistance that I have found that will not leave you hanging if you do not have a spare tire.  All of the others only provide assistance with changing a spare.  They will bring out a comparable tire to at least get you towed into a repair facility.

On 10/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, rwhit323 said:

Hi All,

I am looking for the best roadside assistance insurance company.  Not the cheapest.  I have been with Progressive since 2012 and had two good experiences with them.  But they left me high and dry on interstate 95 in Georgia on 10/1/21.  Both right rear tires blew simultaneously (18 month old tires).  We called Progressive and were told help was on the way.  They actually wanted to tow it even though we told them it cannot be towed, we need them fixed.  And they asked us who they should call!   But the sad part was, we had to call three times and start the claim over each time,  losing almost five hours before they told us we were on our own and they could not help us.  Luckily we found a commercial tire company that came out and changed both tires.   So my question is who is the best?  If Progressive cannot send someone out to fix flat tires, I cannot use them.  

On 10/5/2021 at 4:18 PM, fagnaml said:

rwhit --

Welcome to the forum!  There are many great forum members willing to provide help at any time!

Regarding your question,  until 18 months ago I had Good Sam Roadside Assistance for my previous coach (2007 Damon Astoria) and for my current coach.  I fortunately only had to use Good Sam help once when the serpentine belt on the Astoria shredded because the A/C compressor locked-up while driving home from an LSU football game on a Sunday afternoon on I-10 in Louisiana.  It took Good Sam ~four hours to find a heavy duty towing company to that had a wrecker available to tow the Astoria to a repair shop.  Being the first time to use Good Sam's service, I don't know if a 4 hour wait time was excessive or not.   I was just glad a tow truck was found!

18 months ago when it was time to renew the Good Sam Roadside Assistance the annual cost had increased dramatically to $150 per year which sent me shopping.  I decided to used FMCA's Roadside Rescue with Safe Ride RV Motor Club roadside assistance which has better benefits than Good Sam and purchased a two year contract with Safe Ride for $75 per year.   Fortunately I haven't needed to use Safe Ride's services !!

When my current Safe Ride contract nears expiration I'll compare the renewal cost with the cost for Good Sam and others.   I view road side assistance as relatively inexpensive insurance to make life a bit less stressful. 

Also, if I struggled to get tire service through a roadside assistance policy, I would contact Pilot/Flying J or Love's both of whom provide 24/7 emergency service including tire repair/replacement.  

Again, welcome to the forum!

We have been a member of Coach-Net for over 20+ years. Have used them twice and they provided excellent service. I highly recommend them.