tbogenrief

Looking for our first Class A

Just sold the house and are looking for a first class A DP for full-timing. I have driven a small Class C  (24') for a while and it is not too bad. How bad is the learning curve on a Class A? We are looking for something in the 37-39' range. I'll be working from the road so looking for something with enough room. Been browsing RV Trader and looks like I will probably be going to a private buyer once we find the right one so I'll have to fly/drive out, pick it up and get my first driving lesson under trial by fire. :) We almost had a deal on one, but luckily right before I put the deposit down I caught that the tow capacity on it was almost nothing (we loved it otherwise). 

Anything I should look out for as well? Dealing with dealers is scary because... well they are dealers. Dealing with a private buyer brings its own worries. 

I’d like to say have it inspected, you could but understand they find faults that don’t exist so you have to take their reports with a grain of salt. We had terrible luck with dealers until we stumbled upon the one we bought from. My best recommendation, if you go to a dealer and the coach is dirty, walk away. Both times we bought they were pristine and they handed me a list of items that needed addressed. We negotiated through them and bought both times. 

Welcome to the forum. 

I am with Joe, a good dealer can make a world of difference. You didn't say what you have looked at or what your budget is so it is had to make recommendations. That has never stopped us before so hearer goes. You are going full time, right? I would increase my range of length you are looking at and look more for quality. The 37-39' range is extremely limiting in the diesel market. 

I have bought a diesel pusher hear,  https://www.nirvc.com/Salesstart=50&fq=status%3AAvailable

Watch that 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 that could be a steal if it is in condition. It has the advantage of no particulate filter and no DEF. (I have a 2008) 

I also sold a diesel pusher hear, https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes?sortBy=price+desc

Look at this one https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2007-tiffin-allegro-bay_rv-47741

So I understand how the consignment market works. With PPL you have to agree to fix things the buyer finds wrong or negotiate the price.

Let me know what you think.

Bill

I've been looking at Kenai Coach in Junction City, OR https://www.kenaicoach.com/DealerFiles/ just out of curiosity as I like the build quality of some of the older luxury coaches (it is a tough sell for the wife as she is afraid that old coaches mean big problems). Also been watching RV Trader. Unfortunately, my budget can't put me into a brand new luxury coach, we're trying to stay 200k or under. The more under the better as that gives us a bigger cushion for fixing problems on the road. :)

Wildebill308: That Tiffin Allegro you linked is 100% right up my alley, my only worry is the 300hp engine wonder if it can tow anything as it seems very well equipped (I'm going to try and Google the GCWR). 

Edited by tbogenrief

31 minutes ago, tbogenrief said:

(it is a tough sell for the wife as she is afraid that old coaches mean big problems). Also been watching RV Trader. Unfortunately, my budget can't put me into a brand new luxury coach, we're trying to stay 200k or under.

Tell her I said this. Older quality RV's are not like cars. First of all the build quality of a 14-15 year old coach is better than some of the entry level new coaches the better coaches use better material and higher quality appliances. Once again I say look at the 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 I linked to. This coach has at least 450 HP and capable of towing over 10,000lbs. 

I found some more info go hearer and see some original (brochure) pictuers and for fun they have the original build sheet with the options listed.  https://www.nirvc.com/Sales/Inventory/8343U

This one is within your budget to.

Bill

I totally agree with both  Bill and Joe....but it would help to know where your at?  State?

Stay away from Fleetwood Pace arrow 37 foot.  I know too many who bought them and have nothing but grief. 

The 37' Tiffin, Allegro Bay is a 300 HP, FRED (Front Engine Diesel)!

Edited by manholt

The great (lol) state of Illinois. That is funny you mention Pace Arrow 37', that is what we were just about to buy when I noticed that floorplan was heavy for the chassis and others warned that it had very low capacity for storing. I'd hate to go on a diet just to be able to drive in the mountains. 

Edit: Traveling for purchase is no problem, I have a flat tow car already. Driving a monster motorhome back might be the bigger issue. I'm good with our current 24' Class C, but I am thinking a 45' house on wheels might be different. That is why I wanted to stay in the 37-38 range. Especially if I go to a private seller. If we went to a dealer that might at least give me a few pointers I'd probably feel a little better. At some point I'd probably take a class. I plan on using my vacation next year to go to the National RV Training Academy and take the longest, most detailed course I can. 

Edited by tbogenrief

Driving a bigger RV isn't that hard. Watch some of the vireos like this one  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MSGqfh8z0

Once you understand about "tail swing" and how to turn it is not the problem some people want you to think it is. My 45' coach turns better than my 38' coach did. Don't get to hung up on length. The difference between 38' and 45' is only 7' split between the front and back. You can't tell the difference sitting in the drivers seat. 

One difference buying from a quality dealer like NIRVC is you can get some experience doing a test drive with a trained person and you have a chance to spend several days at their site living in your RV with  a team assigned to you to explain everything thing or fix any problems. 

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

3 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

One difference buying from a quality dealer like NIRVC is you can get some experience doing a test drive with a trained person and you have a chance to spend several days at their site living in your RV with  a team assigned to you to explain everything thing or fix any problems. 

This is good to know! I have them on my watch list too, now. This is the exciting part. :) We are going on our final camping trip of the season with our current RV, cleaning it out, winterizing it and I am doing one more round of P.M. on the roof so we can put it up for sale when we get back. Making inquiries now too to see if it is worth selling it private or using it as a trade. I am sure we can make a bit more on the private market, but if I trade it in then I don't have to worry about scammers and such. 

Herman, very good point. :)

The only time I bought a coach & no trade in, was my first one in 1967...can't remember what the tax was! :P

Take a look at Motorhome of Texas, any used Foretravel 2007 or older, same with Monaco, Beaver, Holiday Rambler, Country Coach, Alpine, Newmar or Travel Supreme. Just to name a few.

Hi all! Thanks for the advice! Just wanted to check in and report the progress. We couldn't make it to Texas, but we did find one we really liked locally and looks like we will be buying it, a 2014 Tiffin 38QBA. Wife is happy with the large floor plan. I really hope I get used to driving it. Seems giant compared to our little 24' Class C. :) 

9 hours ago, tbogenrief said:

Hi all! Thanks for the advice! Just wanted to check in and report the progress. We couldn't make it to Texas, but we did find one we really liked locally and looks like we will be buying it, a 2014 Tiffin 38QBA. Wife is happy with the large floor plan. I really hope I get used to driving it. Seems giant compared to our little 24' Class C. :)

Especially when you are full-timing, the floorplan is very important to you both. If either is not completely happy with the floorplan, it will NEVER get better. I'm also looking for a MH, a floorplan with 1 ½ baths are our must-haves at our ages. Another must is being able to access the entire coach with slides retracted. We have some friends who bought a new MH then later discovered they cannot access the bathroom when slides are retracted.

Another item to watch for with diesel pushers is engine HP. Without the add actually stating the engine, the HP will tell you when looking at diesel pushers built since 2010, Any add stating HP under 370 is now usually a B 6.7 Cummins medium-duty engine. Many who have bought a new MH with this engine are unhappy with performance in mountainous/hilly terrain. All other Cummins engines used are heavy-duty engines with more HP and torque.

Edited by rayin

On 11/8/2021 at 11:12 PM, rayin said:

Another item to watch for with diesel pushers is engine HP. Without the add actually stating the engine, the HP will tell you when looking at diesel pushers built since 2010, Any add stating HP under 370 is now usually a B 6.7 Cummins medium-duty engine. Many who have bought a new MH with this engine are unhappy with performance in mountainous/hilly terrain. All other Cummins engines used are heavy-duty engines with more HP and torque.

Yeah, the engine only has 340HP, and I checked the GCWR to make sure that we would be OK (I almost made this mistake with a different RV, luckily I caught it before we put down a deposit). I am hoping to plan our trips so that we park for a few weeks to a month or two at one time, so hopefully our trips through the hills and mountains won't be so frequent as to be a real problem. Also we have a small car we tow, so it shouldn't be pushing everything to the upper limit.

5 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

The real problem is not lack of HP but lack of experience and training of the driver.

Bill

Yeah. The training options here in IL seem to be pretty sparse. I would very much like to get some actual training before I even drive the thing, but that seems unlikely, at least through the searches I've done so far, but if anyone wanted to make a few $$$ on the side for pointers I have a business idea for them. 

Someone recommended I do the Camp Freightliner I: Factory Service Center Virtual Class. It looks like a 2 day class going over a lot of the stuff on the chassis. I am definitely going to sign up for that. Been watching a ton of videos on driving a Class A, but videos can only teach theory. Just have to hope I get the chance to build up experience safely.