julienewmar97

1997 FREIGHTLINER HYDRAULIC BRAKE ASSEMBLY

I have a 1997 Newmar on a Freightliner chassis with hydraulic brakes.

After a little over a year of storage, I moved the coach around the storage yard and found I had almost no brake pedal and extremely poor stopping power.

I found a repair shop that sent a mechanic to check the problem and I was told that the masterclinder/ booster assembly was ba d and needed replacing.

My mechanic and I set out to find a replacement assembly only to be told that they were no longer available.

A Freightliner dealer in Ohio told me that the assembly was comprised of three components and that those parts were still available.  I ordered them and had my coach towed to the mechanic for repair.

Upon dissasembly, ut was found that the booster that I was sold was not the correct one.

Numerous phone calls to Freightliner Custom Chassis resulted in bing told that Freightliner did not have the parts and they could not help me.

I am trying to find the part to get back on the road.

I just put $3000.00 worth of tires on the coach, making it an even more expensive and ornament.

Can't say that I would recommend either Freightliner or Newmar right now. 

Carl is correct. 

Try "Visone RV Salvage" 606-843-9889 or "Colaws RV Salvage" 417-548-2125. Those are two of the largest Salvage Yards.

You might try contacting an Auto Parts Rebuilder, they might be able to rebuild you old Booster.

Herman

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

What is the part you need? What is the part number? What is the Freightliner chassis number?

Welcome to the forum.

Bill

Thanks for the response!

Brake booster, Freightliner part number: BW 2771700

Chassis:  720056

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Carl is correct. 

Try "Visone RV Salvage" 606-843-9889 or "Colaws RV Salvage" 417-548-2125. Those are two of the largest Salvage Yards.

You might try contacting an Auto Parts Rebuilder, they might be able to rebuild you old Booster.

Herman

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Carl is correct. 

Herman

Thank you for your reply!

I thought of a salvage yard, but did not know any.

Your information is quite valuable and appreciated!

14 hours ago, manholt said:

First, sorry for your troubles!  Second, not Newmar's problem!

Suggest you contact a RV Salvage yard.

Thanks for replying, and your sympathy.

I know that Newmar did not make the chassis, but thought that they would be interested in the disableing of one of their coaches ( and probably more).  I hoped in contacting them that they would offer a possible solution only to find that they were unsympathetic to my plight.

I will try the salvage route, but will be nervous as to the reliability of a used part on a cross country trip.

OK, your coach is a 1997....are you sure that your chassis is the same?  Find your engine # and call their Tech Dept.

Have you called  your local Freightliner dealer parts counter? 

What about outher heavy truck parts places https://www.inlandtruck.com/locations/ftworth-tx.php   There may be one close to you Toll Free: (800) 448-8436

Another one to check with is Fleet Pride. 

https://branches.fleetpride.com/tx/saginaw/truckparts-ftw.html

Good luck.

Bill

On 10/23/2021 at 2:36 PM, manholt said:

OK, your coach is a 1997....are you sure that your chassis is the same?  Find your engine # and call their Tech Dept.

Thank you for your reply.

It is the original chassis and body.

Many phone calls to Freightliner and one of its larger dealers confirmed that the booster is not only not available through Freightliner, but they do not know anything about the original part except its original Freightliner part number.

They told me to talk to Bosch about the unit but I found out that it was made by Bendix.

Bendix has no information about the part or how to get it going again or a replacement.

It helps to be stubborn,  I found and have ordered a rebuilt unit I hope will solve the problem.

If not, I found a remanufacturer that will rebuilt the unit for me.

Good for you! Keep at it,  you'll get everything fixed. Usually a large heavy duty truck repair shop is my go - to repair place for chassis and drive-train work.

Julienewmar97.

Sorry, misunderstanding.  When a manufacturer decides to build a coach, they pull the next appropriate chassis from the yard.  Its seldom that the chassis and engine is the same year as the body.

I have had several coaches, over the years, that had engines, that was up to 4 years older than the chassis and chassis, that was 2 years older than coach build date!

It would help to know, where your at?  City & State.

Try Harmond Classic Breaks