timnjulie

Coach power loss

Recently I was on a camping trip and realized the coach batteries were low and weren’t charging while plugged into 50 amp site. I checked my batteries and the water levels on both 1.5 year old batteries were low if not empty, I had not checked them in 3-4 months. I put a half gallon of distilled water into both batteries. I thought they would charge but they won’t stay charged even when plugged in at home. When I start engine and generator they show fully charged but as soon as I turn them off levels go low quickly. Are the batteries ruined by letting water levels get too low? Or could they’re be another problem?

Tim, what you have are "Sulfated Batteries". That happens when the level get too low and expose the plates. They dry out and flake off and build up till the pile touches the plates and short out the plates. Sorry my friend but you are in for new batteries. :(  Remember from now on to the check the water levels. 

Herman

1 hour ago, timnjulie said:

When I start engine and generator they show fully charged but as soon as I turn them off levels go low quickly

What you are seeing is the charging voltage not the state of charge. Yes they are probably bad.

Bill

If you can afford it, replace your current batteries with AGM's.  I use NAPA...to me its the biggest bang for the bucks!

If you know someone who has, and will loan you a pulse battery charger  desulfator, use it on your batteries as directed. You have nothing to lose but time and a bit of AC electricity to run the pulse charger. I don't think it would be worthwhile to purchase one, but it's your choice.

As Herman said, the plates may be warped by the excess heat from having no liquid to cool them, which makes a battery junk.

This website might be informative:

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html

and: https://batteryuniversity.com/

Edited by rayin

On 10/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, manholt said:

If you can afford it, replace your current batteries with AGM's.  I use NAPA...to me its the biggest bang for the bucks!

Agree!  AGMs are literally install and forget, plus no noxious gasses.  My old AGMs lasted eight years.

I have replaced my coach batteries and they are not holding a charge unless I’m driving. They slowly get from 12 to 10 volts even plugged into 50 amps. I checked my converter fuses an ok there. Any suggestions?

On 10/29/2021 at 10:50 AM, five said:

Agree!  AGMs are literally install and forget, plus no noxious gasses.  My old AGMs lasted eight years.

What brand were they?

Don

8 hours ago, timnjulie said:

I have replaced my coach batteries and they are not holding a charge unless I’m driving. They slowly get from 12 to 10 volts even plugged into 50 amps. I checked my converter fuses an ok there. Any suggestions?

Check to see if your charger function is turned on in your inverter panel.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:30 AM, akadeadeye said:

What brand were they?

Don

Discover.  Replaced the eight 6V deep cycle AGMs with two 12v Interstate deep cycle AGMs.