paulmadrid2

Auto Steps

I have a 2017 Tiffin Allegro RED and the steps started acting up.  With the switch on, when I close the door they stay deployed, thereafter about 5 minutes or so they retract.  Sometimes they stay retracted but sometimes the re-deploy with the door closed, not a good condition going down the road with the steps going in and out.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Actually,WD40 is a cleaner. After it is used, a migrating grease is recommended. I think you find the spray that is marketed by a step manufacturer is that. The lithium grease should work well. 

Mine did that last week. Following the Kwikee product service training manual diagnostic procedures, I determined electrically everything was working as designed. Further investigation revealed;

The magnetic door switch had moved away from the magnet mounted on the screen door. I re-positioned the switch and the steps again worked as designed. The actual cause of the switch moving was; the mounting screws were into the carpeting but did not extend into the metal step-well. After checking on the outside of the step-well for clearance, I used longer self-tapping sheet metal screws.

The lubricant recommended by Kwikee is a drying lube spray, which does not attract road dirt and grime as we drive.

Edited by rayin

Buddy just had that happen on his 37 AP. Steps had a mind of their own but did not want to stay in, but they would go in and out whenever they got the urge. Water got into the four wire connector. Guys in Red Bay got it all dried out and put silicone around the area of the connector. Started acting normal again!!  🤭

Rob