schoonmakerjon

Entertainment System Upgrade

All following this thread,

I'm starting a major entertainment system upgrade in a former celebrity coach.  This system was installed 2008-10 and includes  satellite receiver, TVs, amplifiers/speaker systems, and DVDs/CDs.  There are 2 separate systems, front and rear lounges.  I'm interested in anyone's comments about having done something similar and focusing on  deinstall/installation activities, new product options, service suppliers, etc.  My approach will be,

1. capture internet access and TV streaming services through FMCA's Verizon deal and 5G hotspot
  2. Install a load balancer/router to enhance the interior WiFi signal
  3. Install a new Smart TV for the front lounge
  4. Reuse the current amplifiers/speaker systems and CD changer/player
  5. Install new Blu-ray players to provide additional streaming apps source and to support 1 current/older TV.

I plan to stage all these new units at home to test setup and integration and then start the coach deinstallation and related installation activities.   Please let me know any questions/clarifications and suggestions.    Thank you.

Since you will have WiFi, you might want to consider a TV that has ROKU streaming service. It us free, but they link to other services that charge. We disconnected DirecTV and added ROKU. Since we have Amazon Prime, we linked that at no added charge. Wife wanted PBS which we added for $5.00/mo. We added Netflix  for $14.00/mo. So for $14 for Prime, $14 for Netflix and $5 for PBS the total is &33/mo which is much less than the $85/mo for DirecTV. 

Rossboyer,

OK.  helpful.   We have Prime and Peacock already, and expect with the 5G hotspot will get Disney+, so hopefully this will cover our needs.   I expect the biggest challenge will be integrating the 5G hotspot with the Smart TV, and verifying we have an adequate signal at specific locations.  And we will see how this all works out.  Thank you.

All following this upgrade post, I've nearly completed this upgrade and have the complete system in a trial installation prior the RV installation.  In starting this project, I've removed a 26" JVC plasma TV, quite heavy,  a Magnavox VHS/DVD and Sony AV receiver.  I believe all components are 12+years old.   I've left the Bose surround sound in place.  There was previously a cable/satellite (DirecTV) box providing TV and internet access.   This was removed prior to my acquiring the coach.  As replacements, I've installed

Verizon 5G Hotspot (Inseego) for internet and streaming TV.  The Inseego tech team has been quite helpful.  Verizon less so.

Samsung 32" SmartTV N5300.   This was fairly easy to wirelessly connect to the hotspot

LG Blu-ray DVD player, and

Denon AVR-S540BT for AM/FM radio, mobile phone/Bluetooth connection and USB port.   This also connects to the Bose system.

These newer TVs and AVRs with ARC connections are much easier and simpler to use, as Audio Return Channel (ARC) eliminates a cable and links controls between the TV and the AVR simplifying audio/speaker setup/integration.  While the 5g hotspot currently is receiving 4G LTE, it appears to work fine and the Inseego crew has verified the 4G's capability, so getting 5G anywhere will make the signal better.

I'm still sorting out the antenna situation, and the prior owner has provided some insights and I believe the antenna cabling is in place.   Hopefully this will be reusable.   Additionally, there is a 2nd system in the former rear lounge, and I'll be upgrading that will a similar implementation, sharing the 5G hotspot.   Please advise any additional insights and/or questions.   ---  Jon