obiwan_canoli

Portable Generator

After recently having to use a small portable Honda 2K to charge my house batteries while boondocking - and ruining the generator in the process - I wondered if it made sense to pack my 60 pound monster for whatever "emergency" needs I might encounter...

I have an 8K onboard generator, and nothing I have would otherwise be powered by an external power source. But it occurred to me that I lack the experience of many on this forum, and so, I'm seeking input and/or justification...

Thanks!

First is, I don't understand what you did that would have caused the failure of your small generator when used to charge batteries, that would seem to be a primary reason for having it, and second, if you are boondocking, and you have run down batteries, what do you think might be your options? I doubt that you can start your 8k onboard generator without enough battery power to start it, but if it is in good shape and you conserve enough battery power to start it, then I suppose it would be OK, but I know that I would sure want a backup and that generator that you "ruined" sure seems like the solution if you sort of forgot to monitor the battery condition carefully. I would fix it and learn whatever necessary to prevent ruining it again, and then use it judiciously when necessary. 

Small generators will usually have a battery charger function, however it is normally  <8A output. It is IMO better to carry a small 15-30A stand-alone smart battery charger and power it by the generator.

To gain more knowledge about batteries and chargers, take the time to  read through these websites. https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html  and https://batteryuniversity.com/

A good website to learn all about the 12VDC side of your MH electricl system is: The 12V side of life(parts 1 and 2)

Edited by rayin

Confused - if you have an onboard 8kw generator why do you need the small Honda?

What specifically do you mean by ruined the little generator?

Huh! Michael, it would be nice to know the year, make and model of your coach so a better understanding of the pronlem and netter solutions.

Why did the 8k not work? Do you have an auto syart if the batteris drop below a set voltage?