Sign in to follow this  
jgbaird

Washington State - Most Scenic Route S to N

Question

My wife and I will be driving the Pacific Coast Highway along the entire coast of Oregon and then want to make our way up the Olympic Peninsula spending most of our time there on that portion of Hwy 101 between Sappho and Port Townsend. I have had several people tell me that the western "arm" of 101 north of Aberdeen is pretty desolate and uninspiring - and am wondering if we shouldn't drive the eastern arm through Shelton from Aberdeen.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated - both with reference to the route and things to see along the way.

Thanks.

Jim Baird

Livingston MT (presently)

1 answer to this question

My wife and I will be driving the Pacific Coast Highway along the entire coast of Oregon and then want to make our way up the Olympic Peninsula spending most of our time there on that portion of Hwy 101 between Sappho and Port Townsend. I have had several people tell me that the western "arm" of 101 north of Aberdeen is pretty desolate and uninspiring - and am wondering if we shouldn't drive the eastern arm through Shelton from Aberdeen.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated - both with reference to the route and things to see along the way.

Thanks.

Jim Baird

Livingston MT (presently)

A little known gem of a park that is right on the Strait of Juan de Fuca at the narrowest point between Vancouver Island and Olympic Peninsula, is Clallam County Park called Salt Creek off of State hwy 112. The view is a knockout, the rates are reasonable, and you are close enough to Port Angeles yet far enough away. It is only about 15 miles off of US 101 just west of Port Angeles.