fagnaml

RV Break-Ins - Southwest Houston

For RV owners who store their RVs in the south Katy / Richmond / Rosenberg / Sugar Land area of southwest Houston, since last Monday (11/1/21) and continuing through yesterday (11/9/21) a "petty thief" has broken into five different storage facilities followed by breaking into higher-end motorhomes and fifth wheels. The break-ins are occurring in the 2 a.m. - 5 a.m. time frame. The thief (who appears to be a slender built male in security videos) cuts through a section of chain link fence surrounding a storage facility then proceeds to "pop out" a window on each RV to gain access inside the RV. Once inside the thief dumps drawers and cabinets looking for anything of value and liquor then quickly exits the RV and moves on to the next RV.

In the wee hours of this past Tuesday morning, the thief broke into my storage facility and then broke into my motorhome. My drawers and cabinets were strewn everywhere but the only items the thief stole were a couple of carving knives and a 1/2 pint each of Bacardi Silver and Crown Royal. Other RV owners in my storage facility also had some utensils / knives taken along with any liquor they had in a cabinet. A couple of owners had iPads in their RVs which were taken. Other than a couple of iPads, the thief is not taking any electronics (TVs, DVD players, etc. are untouched).

Thus far the RV storage facilities that have been attacked include Grand Parkway Boat & RV Storage (my facility), Katy Cinco RV Storage, ACE Boat and RV Storage, Accurate Boat & RV Storage and Affordable RV Storage. The Fort Bend County Sheriff Department's Automotive Theft team is working to capture this petty thief who is vandalizing individual RVs. Forum members storing their RV's in the Katy / Richmond / Rosenberg / Sugar Land area of southwest Houston need to remove anything of value from their RVs while this thief is on the loose.

Attached are images of the frame-less window the thief pryed off of my coach to gain access.

MH Break-In 1 - 110821.jpg

MH Break-In 2 - 110821.jpg

Well, at least the thief/burglar taught us how to get in if we lock ourselves out. What every storage facility needs is a hungry junk-yard dog, it won't just watch like a camera.

Quick update on my vandalism / theft.    The thief was caught a week ago by Sheriff deputies who had increased patrolling of RV storage facilities.   The thief confessed to breaking into all of the affected storage facilities and stated he was looking for small items "to hock" and for alcohol.    Don't know yet what charges, bail, etc. will be filed. 

Regarding my busted 24" x 48" frameless, double-pane window.   The window is manufactured by Hehr which was acquired by Lippert a couple of years ago.   The window must be manufactured meaning a 4-6 week time before a new window is ready to ship.  Then add another 2 weeks for shipping and installation at my local RV repair shop.   

The cost of the window is stunning!  The price from Newmar Parts is $1,250 not including taxes and shipping!   I have Geico insurance for my coach and thus far they have been OK to work with.  The cost of the window replacement falls under my $1,000 deductible comprehensive insurance coverage which includes vandalism / theft.   I tried extending the "no deductible glass replacement" coverage in the policy but the answer was glass replacement only applies to the front windshield. 

So, it's a $1,000 out-of-pocket expenditure to get the window replaced and having to wait 6-8 weeks until the window is replaced.   A happy camper I am not!  😡  

Mike, glad they caught the theft. Second I would look for a different Insurance company. We are with Farm Bureau with $500 deductible Collision and $250 Non Collision.

PM me if you need more info.

Herman