rikadoo

Tow dolly

Reading all your posts my question is do tow dolly need a separate rider? or do they require a policy of there own? Then another question comes to mind, when towing on a dolly IF there is a issue how is the ins handled if something was to happen?

8 hours ago, bm02tj said:

The best is talk to your agent 

I agree.  But we have a separate policy for our tow dolly with the same insurance company.  State Farm.  Runs about $36/yr.

Don

13 hours ago, rikadoo said:

Reading all your posts my question is do tow dolly need a separate rider? or do they require a policy of there own? Then another question comes to mind, when towing on a dolly IF there is a issue how is the ins handled if something was to happen?

Well the best answer is talk to your agent. You don't say where you are. 

I towed with a dolly for several years and in Texas I didn't need a extra  policy because  the dolly isn't licensed separately like a trailer.

Bill

I agree too; only your agent can give you a definitive answer. For instance in Indiana the trailer or wagon is covered by the towing vehicle's full-coverage policy, ONLY as long as they are attached.

I believe it varies between states, best bet is to call your agent. When we had a dolly it fell under the vehicle towing it. That was quite a while ago and could have changed by now.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, akadeadeye said:

I agree.  But we have a separate policy for our tow dolly with the same insurance company.  State Farm.  Runs about $36/yr.

Same when we used a dolly. In Ohio our agent said that as long as the dolly is attached to the motorhome it's covered, the same as the toad getting clobbered when attached is covered by the motorhome policy. The $35 dolly policy covered it for theft when not attached.