hallfam4rv

Alaska Bound?

Question

We’ve done the whole 48 now need a trip to Alaska. Is going through Canada an option? Updated info please. TIA. 
How do I find out about a FMCA Chapter or group heading there? We were in Coeur d’Alene one time and there was a FMCA caravan heading there, we thought one day it would be cool to join in.

4 answers to this question

hallfam4rv,

Welcome to the Forum.

The group you saw may have been a Tour Group. A tour group, I have been told, is the way to go to Alaska. It is a bit costly but they make all the reservation for you and plan all the site seeing along the way.

There are several groups that sponsor FMCA, Adventure Caravans and Fantasy RV Tours.

Good luck hope you are able to make it to Alaska.

Herman 

Hallfam4rv.  Welcome!

We are going to Alaska, June 5 from Coeur d' Alene, with Fantasy Tours.  In 2019 we took FT for all the Eastern Canada Maritimes....well worth the price.

Unless you fly, you got to go thru Canada to get to Alaska!

Went to Alaska in 01.  Drove to Vancouver area and got a campsite for 9 days and they took us to the cruise dock to board a cruise ship for 7 days to Alaska.  They picked us up 7 days later and brought us back to the motorhome.  Left the next day to Alaska.  Lots of things to see and do going through Canada.  A couple of things that come to mind were the Canfor sawmill tour and the lower Liard hot springs provincial park. Stopped at the signpost forrest.  Drove the full length of the Alcan highway.  Toured a pipeline pumping station in Delta.  Was in Valdez when the first double hull tanker came in on her maiden voyage.  Got to tour the ship from bridge to bilge, it was huge. Drove through Chicken and panned for gold there.

It was a great trip and I wouldn't mind doing it again.  I traveled in my motorhome and a friend followed me in his motorhome.  I prefer to travel on my own so I can spend as much time as I want to see and and do what I want.  We had traveled through the lower 48 states in 3 1/2 years back in the 70s.

IMO there is more to see in CA than in AK., but AK has it's own special stuff; in particular, look into taking a flight around Mt. Denali or the one that goes over the top. (you got to wear an O2 mask)

If you are active or retired military or ret. DOD,(Canadian or US)  think about the special military active recreational travelers =SMARTRVing.org Alaska caravan.

Edited by rayin