Caseylay0

Headlights/tail lights and horn not working

Hi my husband and I bought our first RV in march 2021. We've been having a lot of fun learning about it and fixing it. Usually one can find solutions for their issues. Our RV is a 1989 Chevy pace arrow on a p30 chassis, our headlights went out at the same time out horn quit working. All of our wires are fine, replaced the horn relay (still does not work) replace all headlights (still nothing). We cant seem to find the headlights fuse. Any advice on how to find the problem would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all! God bless, wishing a happy and safe holiday season to all!

Before you began spending money, did you check for voltage to the switches controlling  the headlights, and running lights? Do the brake lights work? Is/was voltage present at the horn solenoid? Does it start and run normally?

You will find documents pertaining to the P30 chassis here: http://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/3731087061/p/1  Note, the documents are un-categorized, they are in "added by date" order.

Edited by rayin

Rayin: my husband did check voltages to the switch and the power is getting to it fine. The break lights do not work either, neither do hazards but the turn signals work when turning on and off. There was power percent at the solenoid. We have to charge the battery now to start it, this started 2 days ago so we assumed it was the cold. Our next move is to use our warranty for a new battery. 

Sstgermain: we bought new headlights to replace the ones we assumed were burnt out it didnt work

You seem to be throwing money away on something that is surely a warranty issue.  My suggestion is to take it to where you bought it and have it fixed at no cost to you.

JMHO

Herman 

The warranty is for the battery. This is an old RV and the things we replaced thinking it would fix the issue would have needed to be replaced on it anyhow given how it was not kept up with before we bought it. We have a full wall that was rotted out we are currently fixing. This is our first RV and we love learning about it. Yet it can be frustrating at times but we do know the battery most likely is not the issue considering when at full charge we get great power to everything the entire its running however the headlights and horn still do not work. 

I do not know about your chassis, but many around the time that yours was built had a circuit breaker built into the headlight switch, and needed to be replaced when the breaker went bad. If yours is bad, you can test the headlights by applying 12 volts to the power out wire to see if the lights will burn then. If they still do not, next suspect is the dimmer switch. Many times with symptoms like you describe yours is doing, bad grounding can be the culprit.

8 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

I do not know about your chassis, but many around the time that yours was built had a circuit breaker built into the headlight switch, and needed to be replaced when the breaker went bad. If yours is bad, you can test the headlights by applying 12 volts to the power out wire to see if the lights will burn then. If they still do not, next suspect is the dimmer switch. Many times with symptoms like you describe yours is doing, bad grounding can be the culprit.

We had grounding issues early summer ill have him check! Thank you!