paulwhitaker

Meds when on the road.

I have been taking 5 mg of morphine twice daily and hydrocodone as needed for back pain for 5 years. These medications allow me to live a Somewhat normal life. My doctor can only prescribe a 2 month order ( 60 ) days without seeing me. A pharmacy cannot fill his order if he is not licensed in that state. We are planning to travel out west in our MH this coming year and I am asking advise if anyone has experienced this problem and how they delt with it?

Are you a veteran? If so, join the VA. Their services are available in most all states.
I've found NM, AZ & NV pharmacies easy to deal with. Call ahead and see if any of the pharmacies, in those states, can help you. 
Just make sure you have all the meds you need before entering CA. CA is not user friendly.

Richard

Edited by rls7201

19 hours ago, rls7201 said:

...Are you a veteran? If so, join the VA. Their services are available in most all states...

You can't just "join" the VA.  And, if you qualify, they will not just start issuing you potent meds required by the OP.

Paul,

If you are a Veteran and do qualify you will be assigned a Dr. at your local VA Hospital or Clinic. You may take your meds that were prescribed by your Dr. or Doctors and they will send your Meds. to be fill by a VA Pharmacy.  I am not sure if they will even Refill the Meds you mentions with out seeing you at prescribed intervals.

Herman 

On 12/13/2021 at 12:42 PM, five said:

You can't just "join" the VA.  And, if you qualify, they will not just start issuing you potent meds required by the OP.

Can you explain further why a Vet can't just join the VA.
I am a Vet. I have no disabilities and didn't serve in a war zone.
I belong to the VA and receive my meds from them.
All that is required is an annual physical.

Richard

Richard, I don't believe he was referring to you but in general. I to am like you but did signed up 25+ years ago,  it is hard more difficult now.

Thank you for your Service 

Herman 

Let's remember that Paul is referring to controlled medication for pain which is highly controlled. No Doctor, even one's from the VA will prescribe more then a certain amount without a in-person visit.

Paul, I hope you are able to find a solution for you problem.

Herman 

2 hours ago, rls7201 said:

Can you explain further why a Vet can't just join the VA.
I am a Vet. I have no disabilities and didn't serve in a war zone.
I belong to the VA and receive my meds from them.
All that is required is an annual physical.

Richard

You are in the VA system if you are getting RXs and physicals from them.   In order to 'join' you must prove service....DD214 (other than Honorable Discharge can deny benefits), proof if claiming wounded (Purple Heart on the DD 214 or certificate), proof of income if wanting medical care, and other requirements.  When I was last in my VA, Nov 2021, my doc was complaining about the VA being so crowded, with many using the system and trying to get disability funds with "flaky" claims....her term, not mine.

Herman, I signed up with the VA 17 years ago. Corp. America threw me on the streets when I was 60 and it's hard to get a head full of gray hair employed again. GRIN. So I operated a small RV repair service until I was 70. I needed medical help until I was qualified for Medicare and then I moved most of my needs to Medicare but the VA meds are still cheaper. 

Thank you for your service.

Richard

Edited by rls7201

Ask your doctor if he/she is in any network that will allow referrals to other states, and tell the reason why. Most doctors are willing to help with travel situations and more knowledgeable than people in other fields about the problem that you are facing. In Alabama you would be required to be using a pain management clinic to receive those meds together at your frequency. Good luck finding a solution.

Thanks to all for your responses. I served as a marine reservist 60 years ago, now honorably discharged. The VA is not an option. My pain management doctor has assisted as best he can. To extend my time away I’ve reduced using the morphine to one a day extending my time away. It took an uncomfortable two weeks to adjust  but I’m able to get by between my prescription refills. I’m sure this motivation  proved to be positive. We are just now returning from a two month trip. Had a great time seeing our wonderful country.