somamp1

extension cord use from home to Roadtrek

Hello all.  First post from a RV "newbie".  Just got a 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous RS.  Loving it.  She has 30 amp service and I want to run an extension cord from my garage to the RV.  1) Do I need a 30 amp capacity extension cord? Or just any exterior extension cord?  2) I have standard 120V service in my home.  Do I need an electrician to create a 30 amp outlet just for the RV or can I go directly from my 120V home service to the 30 amp RV service?   Thanks for any advice.

Michael

15/20 amp versus 30 amp will depend on what you intend to do with your RV at home. If you do not plan to stay inside your RV at home at any time and only use electricity for maintenance only, then 20 amp should be fine, use a 12 gauge with ground extension cord as short as possible. If you would like to maybe stay inside the RV and use the air conditioner or electric heat, then have a 30 amp circuit installed, be sure that the electrician understands that you need a 30 amp 120 volt circuit with an RV receptacle. A 30 amp 240 receptacle will ruin the appliances within the RV. I personally would opt for the RV plug because we like to have the option just in case we need to use the RV for emergency purposes, such as power outages, a small generator will run the RV whereas the home is more limited to using the small generator. Just my two cents worth, congratulations for the new to you RV.

Edited by kaypsmith

The answer is it depends. What items are you going to have on?  If you are only charging the batteries, a #12-3 extension plugged into a 20 amp outlet would probably be enough if within 25-30 feet. Be sure that the outlet you plug into does not have other loads on it. Also, avoid a GFI outlet, some don’t like RVs connected. 

If you plan on operating a space heater, go up to a 30 amp extension and have a 30 amp outlet installed. Even if an electrician installs it, check the voltage between all the terminals to be sure it has not been wired as 240 volt not 120 volt you need. 

Michael

Make a setup like at the campground  at your home to your fuse panel with a 30 amp 

breaker  for    1   2    0    volt wiring to the box.

I used a 10-3 wire.   One  R  V   30 amp female plug.   This  will make sure no 220 volt plug

can not plug into it. Then to have enough wire for the  hookup ,buy a 30 amp extension core

with R V connectors on it available in 25 or 50 ft lengths.

You , will find that you might need this at a campground .

Tim the Mailman  F405095

Under no circumstances do you want to plug it into the clothes dryer outlet in the house. That is 240v. You will damage the RV electrical considerably if you plug into the dryer plug.

The 30A RV supply is 120v exactly like the plug for appliances in the house. The difference being that the house is 20A for common household items and the RV is 30 amp.   The three plugs on the 30A are: Ground (round plug) Hot spade (black wire) and Neutral spade (white wire). The 50Amp plug is totally different.

Make sure that whoever installs the receptacle understands the differences.

This may help: 30A RV Service

Where I store my MH has standard house power.  Which is fine for me, all I plug in is my charger, and a few 60 watt old style light bulbs for winterization.  If I need more heat (space heater/Aqua Hot), floor heat, or air conditioning, micro wave or similar high power appliances, I unplug the MH and fire up the generator.  

The OP stated he'd like to run his appliances....just have a qualified RV electrician put in 30 amp service.  As noted above be sure the electrician knows that it is for an RV.

Edited by five

If you decide to have an outlet wired, I suggest that you install a three outlet campground type box with breakers. The outlets would be 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp ground fault. I think they are about $100-150 at big box stores. The wire from you main panel will probably cost more , but once done you will have electrical service for future RVs.