raypesek

TechConnect no longer unthrottled all the time

Saw this on iRV2 first and yes, the FMCA website now has this notice. "Deprioritization" is throttling when someone is parked at the same place for the winter if deprioritization is not dynamically adjusted for actual utilization at that moment in time. I have no idea how they are doing it since I don't know how T-Mobile defines "congested". I still have a Sprint SIM but I don't think that matters. The Calyx Institute does not yet have a similar notice.

It would be nice if we were told how much the speed was getting knocked down. I can get "unlimited data" on my Verizon phone's hotspot at 0.6 M/bps (600 kilobits per second). "Unlimited" does not mean "usable".

It may be possible to select a different tower by rebooting the device. I'll find out next month. If the signal strength changes you're on a different tower.

Although this post is 3 years old, it reads eerily familiar: https://community.t-mobile.com/network-coverage-5/de-prioritized-even-when-tower-is-not-congested-violation-of-terms-conditions-by-t-mobile-9808

Ray

Important changes to Tech Connect Plan since T-Mobile purchased Sprint

After 50GB, you still get unlimited LTE data but may at times notice reduced speeds in areas with network congestion. At T-Mobile unlimited is truly unlimited. No overages or data caps apply on their network. Data prioritization will only be noticeable when you access a congested tower and have used over 50GB of data in a particular billing cycle. You will continue to get unlimited high-speed data on your mobile hotspot when you aren’t accessing a congested tower. In that way it’s different from data throttling, which slows you down for the remainder of your bill cycle regardless of network conditions, all the time. Their policy is also in line with common industry standards for network management, which are designed optimize network performance and service.

We have been receiving calls about members being network managed from snow birds frequenting parts of Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona.

Edited by raypesek

If that's the experience we get on our winter trip it's history. I can get crappy Internet anywhere without paying an extra $50 a month.

If people experience the degradation, perhaps they could post here with where they were and when/how long it occurred. If it truly is only during true congestion time periods that's one thing but if not, that's another. 

Have had the FMCA Sprint/TMobile hotspot plan for only a month.   Bought this because of the 'unlimited, unthrottled' aspect.  Figures it wouldn't last long as our luck is not that great.  We're in SW Phoenix now.  Experienced throttling (they can call it whatever they want, but it's still throttling) a couple of times after we hit 50Gb.  Seemed to last at least an hour and mostly at night.  Once we got discouraged with the crappy streaming, we switched to our phones hotspots.  Next day, it seemed normal.  Our plan renews on the 20th, so all is good now.  But since we're not moving and we won't probably change towers, I'm not expecting this process to improve back to the old process.

Have tried resetting the router (LinkZone 2) and that seemed to work the first few times......but since the button is on the inside, it's not handy.  We turn the hotspot off when not in use now.

FMCA went out and got a MiFi program that was great. People were coming out from of the woodwork to join FMCA just for the Tech Connect. The Sprint program was next to none. Yes there were glitches now and then but each was worked out. When T-Mobile purchased Sprint, T-Mobile said that they would have never agreed to such a program however they would Honor what was written. However they did implement some of their own restrictions which FMCA had no control over.  For the most part the program works well and many are pleased with it, myself included.

We joined FMCA for the friend we have met, Rallies, and so many other intangible things. We now have great friends all over the US and Canada we would not have had if it weren't for FMCA. All that being said if you joined for only the Tech Connect program, you can cancel it at any time (there is no contract). Just call 513-474-3622 and ask for the person that handles Tech Connect.

FMCA is a great Origination and is a lot more than MiFi.

Herman Mullins

Forum Monitor

NAVP South Central Area

Called two weeks ago when I got the new unit, also emailed. No reply. Just sent in another email. Will call next week after Christmas. If they cannot give me a better mifi unit that works properly I will just cancel.

I guess anyone that depends on connectivity  for their job and uses FMCA Sprint Connection will just have to wait till next year for tech support.

I have been in SC since December 1st and have used over 450gb and had no throttling that is noticeable, I would get some buffering on occasion but it has been rare and doesn't last very long.

18 minutes ago, faiello said:

I have been in SC since December 1st and have used over 450gb and had no throttling that is noticeable, I would get some buffering on occasion but it has been rare and doesn't last very long.

Good to hear. Thank you for the report.

We're getting the same kind of problem with our new Inseego M2000 device. FMCA sent us one M2000 device and we were getting speeds like 0.50 download and 0.15 upload, which couldn't be right, since that's a high-end $300-$400 device. Then on a few other days we had 0.07 mps (70kb dialup speeds). So Joshua Spurlock from FMCA personally tested another M2000 device and apparently got 200+ mps in his location and shipped that to us. But unfortunately, we got the same slow 0.50 mps speeds. Josh contacted T-Mobile, and apparently, our coverage is "technically" roaming coverage... We aren't in the middle of nowhere either, we live in the middle of a city of 14,000 in Deming NM with a big T-Mobile store right here in town.

I believe this is T-Mobile playing "games", or they are using lat/long rectangles overlaid on the map to "blacklist" hotspots that GPS within the multiple RV park district of the town, or something (give RV'ers the "roaming" speeds - give the rest of the town the normal speeds - I haven't actually tested this theory yet). I find it hard to believe that T-Mobile would have "roaming" coverage over the whole city where they have a prominent T-Mobile store right in town and apparently a tower only 2 miles away from us. So people go to the store to buy new T-Mobile devices, go home and get dialup internet speeds on the T-Mobile network? ... Maybe I'm wrong and everyone in this city has really bad T-Mobile coverage. Personally, I don't think T-Mobile is playing fairly and perhaps FMCA may want to file an FCC complaint if others are experiencing the same problem. Everything worked great for last year and most of 2021 until the last few months.

Take the device and a laptop to the front of the T-Mobile store and test speed there, then start moving away test all the way back to the RV park taking screen shots at every test location, also recording where each location is. Show the results to the rep at the T-Mobile store. I had a similar complaint with my coverage, called the carrier, they changed from one tower to another one which greatly improved my speed ever since.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:19 PM, raypesek said:

Saw this on iRV2 first and yes, the FMCA website now has this notice. "Deprioritization" is throttling when someone is parked at the same place for the winter if deprioritization is not dynamically adjusted for actual utilization at that moment in time. I have no idea how they are doing it since I don't know how T-Mobile defines "congested". I still have a Sprint SIM but I don't think that matters. The Calyx Institute does not yet have a similar notice.

It would be nice if we were told how much the speed was getting knocked down. I can get "unlimited data" on my Verizon phone's hotspot at 0.6 M/bps (600 kilobits per second). "Unlimited" does not mean "usable".

It may be possible to select a different tower by rebooting the device. I'll find out next month. If the signal strength changes you're on a different tower.

Although this post is 3 years old, it reads eerily familiar: https://community.t-mobile.com/network-coverage-5/de-prioritized-even-when-tower-is-not-congested-violation-of-terms-conditions-by-t-mobile-9808

Ray

Important changes to Tech Connect Plan since T-Mobile purchased Sprint

After 50GB, you still get unlimited LTE data but may at times notice reduced speeds in areas with network congestion. At T-Mobile unlimited is truly unlimited. No overages or data caps apply on their network. Data prioritization will only be noticeable when you access a congested tower and have used over 50GB of data in a particular billing cycle. You will continue to get unlimited high-speed data on your mobile hotspot when you aren’t accessing a congested tower. In that way it’s different from data throttling, which slows you down for the remainder of your bill cycle regardless of network conditions, all the time. Their policy is also in line with common industry standards for network management, which are designed optimize network performance and service.

We have been receiving calls about members being network managed from snow birds frequenting parts of Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona.

I understand this change, but what frustrates me is the lack of communication from FMCA on a program for which we are paying $50 a month. Why couldn't they at least send an email to all Tech Connect + members informing us of this change? Or is there some communication that others are receiving that I am missing out on? 

I am happy to be part of FMCA, plan to be a member for many years, and believe it is a great organization trying to do the right thing. But it is disappointing that FMCA may be getting a bad name due to poor communication and poor tech support. 

If any member has an issue with contacting any one with FMCA please let me know. If you will send me a PM with your name, contact information and what your issue is, I will make sure the correct person contacts you.

We have some of the nicest hard working people you can find in FMCA. However FMCA, like so many others, is short of staff and is trying to find folks to fill vacancies. Please be patient and contact me and I will help. 

Herman Mullins

FMCA Monitor

Herman, I am a member of FMCA already. My parents were life time members and are now both passed on. The question that I have for you is it possible to use their membership now and delete mine.

Thank you for your help

Elliott Butler

we started with a mifi from fmca.  southwest pa.  had some problems getting set up.  great tech help from fmca.  worked great for 6 months, the starting acting funny.   techconnect sent me a new unit.  now a alcatel unit.  worked good for a couple weeks.  then had problems connecting.  techconnect  called and we were switched to a different number.  worked good for a while.  we are now about 40 miles northeast of tampa florida staying at different places.  just plain lousy service.   was told we are in a high traffic area and over 50 gb.  new billing cycle, no better.  at this point, we are ready to drop this service.  saw their notice of complaints from 4 states.  just so happens the 4 states rvers like to visit.  just like some businesses, buy out a good company and screw it up. it is not fmca fault

I am not having problems with service here in South Carolina but I have noticed that the MIFI8000 is no longer tracking how much data I am using both on the unit or on the 192.168.1.1 page since January 1st. In March we head through Georgia to Florida then I can see if I see the problems with the slow down mentioned in the thread.

Screenshot_20220112-203445_Chrome.jpg

T-Mobile buys Sprint, honors the program but adds their own restrictions. Basically T-Mobile wants  to get rid of the program. They do that by making it not function as intended, so that people will cancel the service. I don't recall these restrictions with Sprint, so how is T-Mobile "honoring" the program? I respect that FMCA is trying its best to secure a plan for its members, but I feel that Tech Connect should have told people about the changes.

Howdy!

I’ve been suffering with my FMCA MiFi hotspot for months. Finally was able to contact the tech support and they sent me out a new Inseego M2000 to replace my 8000. Once I received it the problems continued. Finally contacted tech again and they sent me out a T-Mobile sims card. The struggle continues, I get slow to no connection error code running speed test. That while using a WeBoost booster with the bars and the map show I have excellent 4gT-Mobile at my location. This rediculous as before the Sprint/T-Mobile takeover I was getting great connections and using and excess of over 500gb a month, FMCA MiFi hotspot has been worthless now months.

Anyone know if you can place the T-Mobile sims cad in a router?

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

Edited by chiefneon

Just got an email from the mother ship to confirm my shipping address so they can send me out a TMobile SIM card rather than the Sprint one I'm using now.  Anyone have this, and if so did you notice a drop in speeds/performance/capacity when you changed?  

I got an email today from FMCA asking for an address confirmation so they can send a new hotspot to replace my Inseego M8000 for the TechConnect plan. I'm interested to know what hotspot is currently being provided with this plan? Can anybody tell me what is being given out currently?

Thanks!!!