raypesek

TechConnect no longer unthrottled all the time

1 hour ago, rrlowther said:

I have been trying to call to confirm this but haven't had any luck.  I got the new Alcatel Linkzone 2.  It appears to be 4G only?  REALLY?

Fell for the hype, did you? 🙃

This may help: https://www.verizon.com/about/news/how-far-does-5g-reach

5G Tower Range

In general, the 5G Ultra Wideband network’s signal can reach up to 1,500 feet without obstructions.

You know, obstructions like being inside an RV, trees between you and the 5G tower, being just over a quarter-mile away from the tower, etc.

Ray

Edited by raypesek

Once they disable my MiFi I'm done with this plan.  I'll go back to hotspoting from my Visible phone.  The Alcatel is junk.

I received this same email last week requesting a confirmation of the address that i wanted the T-Mobile hotspot sent to ... as we are in the process to moving to new location for February .. I now want to repond and give them the new address but have now lost the number to call to give them the new address for us ... could somebody give me that number or email I can respond to ... will do that and pray it works at least as well as the Sprint has been...

Thanks in advance

whiteeagle, This is the email I got.

Dear Tech Connect+ Member,

As many of you may already know, FMCA is currently in the process of transitioning service providers for our Tech Connect+ program. We are moving from Sprint to T-Mobile. You’re receiving this e-mail because the device you are using is scheduled for replacement in preparation for this transition. Your current device will not be able to operate on the T-Mobile network.

However, there’s no need to worry because our Tech Connect+ team members have new devices ready for you. All we need is your current shipping address. Once you provide your shipping address, we ask that you allow us 5-7 business days for shipping. Please note we are not able to ship to PO Boxes.

Your device will arrive activated and ready. Just simply install the SIM card!

Shipping Address
**If you have an Inseego M2000 you will receive further correspondence to receive a T-Mobile SIM card.
**Your old Sprint equipment does not need to be returned. We just simply ask that you recycle the lithium battery inside your device!
**If you’ve already received an Alcatel Linkzone 2 or Franklin T9 you may disregard this message. 

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.e2ma.net%2Fimages%2Fspacer.gif&t=1643425391&ymreqid=ffa03ca6-129c-99cc-1c70-ca07ac01cb00&sig=Hv2IPRvtLDHtjot7eaaqLw--~D

FMCA - Your RVing Family

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Instagram LinkedIn YouTube

On 1/21/2022 at 10:19 PM, willbeeind said:

I got an email today from FMCA asking for an address confirmation so they can send a new hotspot to replace my Inseego M8000 for the TechConnect plan. I'm interested to know what hotspot is currently being provided with this plan? Can anybody tell me what is being given out currently?

Thanks!!!

FYI, I did get the new hotspot to work on the T-mobile plan. It is an Alcatel Linkzone 2 4G hotspot. We received it less than a week after confirming our address. Apparently not 5G compatible but we don't need much speed so it should work for us. Ours is on Seasonal status as we are at our sticks and bricks home, so we'll have to wait a few months to see how well it works. 

I have done 700gb with 1 day left with my Sprint Sim and MIFI8000, don't screw this up by having me change my equipment and service. I have been using this for only a few months and have been very very happy! 😞

I just received my Alcatel link zone. it is terrible to be polite. the MIFI 8000 was rock solid and very reliable for my needs. my sticks and bricks is right out side of chicago and I would get 200mps  download, with the Alcatel im getting 1-10mps. if it doesn't improve I will be cancelling service which is a shame I enjoyed having this as a backup while traveling.

I had the m2000 on a different plan and it was junk for me. when it worked it works great but I returned it, it wasn't reliable.

Does anyone who has the Alcatel LinkZone 2 know if it's possible to change the DHCP range and DNS servers and have port forwarding as can be done on the Mifi 8000L? I have devices that need port forwarding to function. From the very meager Alcatel LinkZone 2 manual I found online it does not show those capabilities at all and that will be a problem...

So far, in Bradenton, FL near their Costco, I have not been throttled on the Mifi 8000 at all and I'm noticeably above 50 GB so that's good.

Ray

Edited by raypesek

Is anyone using the Calyx Institute plan? I wonder if they are going through the same thing. They list the Alcatel LinkZone 2 as their lowest plan, the Mifi 8000L as their mid-tier plan (but marked as Currently Unavailable) and the M2000 as their top-tier plan.

Their Alcatel plan is cheaper than FMCA while the M2000 plan is more expensive cumulatively until you're a few years in and then it's a bit cheaper. FMCA is a flat $600 a year while Calyx is $750 in Year One and then $500 in Year 2 and later so in Year 3 you're a bit ahead in the cost with Calyx.

https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/internet

https://calyxinstitute.org/help/hotspot-connectivity/data-usage - 

Our contract with Mobile Citizen says “no throttling, suspension, or overage charges after 30GB”.

We are authorized by Mobile Citizen to describe the service as “unlimited” because there is no limit to the amount of data you can use, and there never has been.

We began offering this membership benefit on the 4G/LTE network in April 2016 and so far we haven’t heard of anyone being cut off for using too much data.

The plan does not include off-network roaming and it is subject to any standard network management that T-Mobile may apply to commercial broadband data-only account holders.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:40 PM, raypesek said:

Does anyone who has the Alcatel LinkZone 2 know if it's possible to change the DHCP range and DNS servers and have port forwarding as can be done on the Mifi 8000L? I have devices that need port forwarding to function. From the very meager Alcatel LinkZone 2 manual I found online it does not show those capabilities at all and that will be a problem...

So far, in Bradenton, FL near their Costco, I have not been throttled on the Mifi 8000 at all and I'm noticeably above 50 GB so that's good.

Ray

The Alcatel allows you to change the DHCP range and DNS servers and has DMZ and port forwarding ability.

was all ready to pull the lanyard for T Mobile tech connect + until i read this thread. Guess I'll have to continue getting robbed by Verizon for a while longer.

Looks like T Mobile was either not ready for this program or (more likely) doesn't want to support it. Really sounds like terrible service from the supplier.

12 hours ago, f375818 said:

was all ready to pull the lanyard for T Mobile tech connect + until i read this thread. Guess I'll have to continue getting robbed by Verizon for a while longer.

Looks like T Mobile was either not ready for this program or (more likely) doesn't want to support it. Really sounds like terrible service from the supplier.

The problems will get sorted out. That being said, the latest screw-up seems to be that T-Mobile is shutting off the Sprint hotspots prematurely, apparently before the Alcatel replacement is received. I learned this from iRV2. That person said they learned it from the FMCA's Facebook page. I cannot find that Facebook page and there's nothing on the FMCA TechConnect page about it.

See: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/fmca-sprint-unlimited-mifi-plan-556217-5.html#post6072448

Hi...just found this on FMCA/Facebook...it was posted a few hours ago

"We have been receiving a lot of emails and calls about members that are having their Tech Connect+ Sprint hot spot device replaced with a new T-Mobile device, and that their Sprint device is now turned off.

If you have received the new T-Mobile hotspot already make sure you are using this device instead of the Sprint hotspot.

If you have not received the new T-Mobile device yet and your Sprint device has been deactivated please contact us with an email to techconnect@fmca.com and include your member number, and the PTN number of your Sprint device and tell us that it has been deactivated.

The PTN can be found either by using the touch screen on the device or if you pop off the back cover and remove the battery there will be a white sticker that contains it.

We will then quickly put in a request to T-Mobile to reactivate your Sprint device.

I'll stay with the program until they give us a hard high-speed limit and then I'll look elsewhere.

Ray

Edited by raypesek

33 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Go to FMCA RV Club Facebook page, its a pinned post at the top of the page.

For some reason an FB search did not find the group named "FMCA Fans"...

https://www.facebook.com/fmcafans

SMH. This is just another example of the lack of communication from FMCA. How hard would it be for FMCA to email every subscriber to TechConnect+? Or update their own web site?

News Flash! Not everyone likes Facebook or subscribes to it, like my wife. You email me for rallys. In fact, I got one today from the FMCA Events Team.

Edited by raypesek

Had an issue 2 nights ago in Lordsburg, Nm Showed full signal and connected to T-mobile 4g. Could not open anything at all. I can't see Lordsburg being overcongested with traffic as there is not much there. Called Tech Connect and they responded in an hour. I am now in Tombstone and all is working fine again. Tech connect says they did nothing on their end . . . Go figure

That actually is not that unusual. There are a lot of things that need to work in addition to a strong signal and almost all of those are at the Internet Service Provider (T-Mobile). A temporary outage in any of those systems will cause exactly what you saw.

Ray

3 hours ago, eegladkw said:

Hot spot was working great until I reached 50gb, can't even surf internet now.  Never happened with Sprint.

May I ask where you are?

In Yuma Foothills area..  Last weekend, couldn't get any internet to work on the Sprint hot spot...thought we had been cut off pre-maturely -  ordered the replacement T-Mobile hotspot in response to their directive... Yesterday Sprint hot spot  worked but slowly.... today, checked this moths usage - it's at 30GB for this monthly period cycle but today it's worthless again.... 

Unfortunately, over the past 3-5 months, I told several folks how it was working OK for us and a few signed up during  past 3 months... now I have to apologize and wish I had never added this Sprint connect hotspot...if the replacement T-Mobile doesn't work any better, I'll be dropping it quickly.... disgusting experience

For whatever it's worth, it likely depends where those folks are. As I noted we're in Bradenton, FL and while sometimes it slows down in the day, it has never been useless or cut back.

I've been near Jacksonville, FL for over a week and my Sprint MiFi has been over 200 down and 30 up.  No problems streaming or slow downs here. Over 80 used

Edited by C-923954