Hello everybody and HAPPY NEW YEAR. Hope the new year brings health and happiness your way.

Well, today is "my new beginning" for me since it is the new year already, but it is also 20220101, my last day as a member of the US ARMY RESERVE.

It has been a long way getting here, originally joined the Army back in Puerto Rico in 1982, 9 years on active duty, 16 years out of the service and then joined the Reserve in 2007. Retired from a city job two years ago today and retiring from the military today too.

Also, bought my first motorhome ever two years ago, not knowing anything about it at all, but enjoying every minute that I have spend working and messing around with it. Have been doing a whole bunch of little things to it, just because I have been locked up in my house for the last two years, lol. I do need to replace the tires but it will be done within the next few days. Air bags need to be replaced also but I have not ordered them yet, will try to order and replace them within the next few weeks.

My daughter will be here from Poland by the middle of February (she is a member of the WA National Guard) and one of my brothers will be here from Puerto Rico on the 2nd of March.

Soooo, I will like to go on a long trip and do some sight seeing and exploring all over as much as possible. Thinking Alaska maybe to start, being that this is provably the closest I will ever be to it before I start heading the other way, I'm in Tacoma, WA. And NO, nothing is for sure here yet, everything is subject to change, just trying to come up with a plan.

Will love to hear your thoughts and being that I am no expert here, any advice or suggestions will be immensely appreciated.

Well congratulations and thank you for your service. 

I would start with a couple shorter trips. South this time of year. Maybe somewhere like Quartzite after all it is the season.

Bill

14 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

Well congratulations and thank you for your service. 

I would start with a couple shorter trips. South this time of year. Maybe somewhere like Quartzite after all it is the season.

Bill

Thank you Bill and yes, planning on doing some local exploration until the weather improves and then will decide.

Our year will be different, also.  Probably, less than 2,000 miles, and about 6 campgrounds at chapter rallies. Gone are the 20,000+ mile years.

May this year be better than last for you and yours!

Navigator. Welcome back to the Forum!

Please list your type, make, model, year of RV.

This time of year for camping, you have 2 choices (Ferry is expensive), Vancouver Island or Arizona....SoCal is nice, but $7 a gal diesel is not.

Thank you for your Service and Happy New Year!

Edited by manholt

2 hours ago, manholt said:

SoCal is nice, but $7 a gal diesel is not.

It isn't that bad but  mid December when I was in Van Nuys looking for gas I saw cheap diesel for $5.11 gas was $4.879. I made it back to AZ before I had to buy diesel. Almost makes me feel bad only paying $2.96 in Texas.

Bill

On 1/2/2022 at 5:02 AM, rossboyer said:

Our year will be different, also.  Probably, less than 2,000 miles, and about 6 campgrounds at chapter rallies. Gone are the 20,000+ mile years.

May this year be better than last for you and yours!

I bet that you do have some awesome memories and stories from many moments and all of the trips taken so far. For me, I enjoy every now and then to stay put and relax, have some drinks, share some stories with friends and family and reflect on everything that we have done thru the years. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and it recharges the soul so we can plan for the next big adventure, no matter what that might be, cleaning something, fixing something, buying something or just plain taking a brake from it all. 

Take care my friend and many blessings your way.

On 1/2/2022 at 5:51 AM, manholt said:

Navigator. Welcome back to the Forum!

Please list your type, make, model, year of RV.

I think I just did it. 👍

This time of year for camping, you have 2 choices (Ferry is expensive), Vancouver Island or Arizona....SoCal is nice, but $7 a gal diesel is not.

Yeah, that's why I'm staying put for a bit, just planning and preparing for now.

Thank you for your Service and Happy New Year!

Thank you Sir, take care and enjoy 2022.🍻

On 1/2/2022 at 8:08 AM, wildebill308 said:

It isn't that bad but  mid December when I was in Van Nuys looking for gas I saw cheap diesel for $5.11 gas was $4.879. I made it back to AZ before I had to buy diesel. Almost makes me feel bad only paying $2.96 in Texas.

Bill

I hope to make it down to Texas one of this days, I have a couple of nieces and a nephew living there that I will love to visit.

16 minutes ago, navigator1 said:

I hope to make it down to Texas one of this days, I have a couple of nieces and a nephew living there that I will love to visit.

Come on down! Lots of  things to see and do. Where in Texas are the  nieces and a nephew?

Bill

18 hours ago, navigator1 said:

18 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Come on down! Lots of  things to see and do. Where in Texas are the  nieces and a nephew?

Bill

Yes, inquisitive minds want to know!

On 1/7/2022 at 1:18 PM, wildebill308 said:

Bill

Hey Bill, I just saw Fort Worth as your location, that's where one of my nieces is at, my nephew is in Killeen and my other niece in Houston.

14 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Yes, inquisitive minds want to know!

Yes Sir and I think that your location, Texas City is pretty close to Houston too, so it would be awesome to meet you guys sometime in the near future.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:39 AM, navigator1 said:

Hey Bill, I just saw Fort Worth as your location, that's where one of my nieces is at, my nephew is in Killeen and my other niece in Houston.

What part of town. There might be a spot to stay close by.

Bill

Nav1 --

Welcome to the forum !   Congratulations on both of your retirements and thank you for your many years of military service !

There a many, very knowledgeable forum members willing to help each other at anytime.   You will enjoy the many adventures you have with your motorhome.  As others have stated, start with some sorter mileage outings to learn the nuances of your coach and fix any problems that occur.  Then start the longer mileage / duration outings. 

Regarding your comments about "being locked up in your home for two years" in the age of Covid and RV is an extremely safe way to travel and see any area of the country.  At the end of each day the only "viruses/germs" you come home to are "yours"! 

Never be hesitant to ask the forum for help and guidance.  

When you have a moment, please create a "signature block" like mine and many others that states your coach year / manufacturer / model , your "toad" vehicle and any other pertinent information for forum members to easily view and provide guidance. 

Again, welcome to forum and best wishes for many safe, enjoyable outings with your coach! 

Nav1, Now is the time for your spouse to start a Travel Journal. You can record all of your trips and adventures. My DW has one from the very first time we got into the coach to bring it home. After many trips it is a good reference to refer back to when you need to find that great RV Park and to bypass those bad ones. Our journal is over 200 typed pages and still growing.

Have fun, enjoy and don't be a stranger.

Herman 

Edited by hermanmullins

9 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

What part of town. There might be a spot to stay close by.

Bill

They live close to the airport, FTW and by looking at the map, I can see that there's a few places around that area. Eagles Resorts RV Storage & RV Park, 4627 Robertson Rd #108, Fort Worth, TX is about 10 minutes from their house. I guess I need to start planning something. ☺️

6 hours ago, fagnaml said:

Nav1 --

Welcome to the forum !   Congratulations on both of your retirements and thank you for your many years of military service !

There a many, very knowledgeable forum members willing to help each other at anytime.   You will enjoy the many adventures you have with your motorhome.  As others have stated, start with some sorter mileage outings to learn the nuances of your coach and fix any problems that occur.  Then start the longer mileage / duration outings. 

Regarding your comments about "being locked up in your home for two years" in the age of Covid and RV is an extremely safe way to travel and see any area of the country.  At the end of each day the only "viruses/germs" you come home to are "yours"! 

Never be hesitant to ask the forum for help and guidance.  

When you have a moment, please create a "signature block" like mine and many others that states your coach year / manufacturer / model , your "toad" vehicle and any other pertinent information for forum members to easily view and provide guidance. 

Again, welcome to forum and best wishes for many safe, enjoyable outings with your coach! 

Thank you Sir and yes, lots of great and knowledgeable people here.

Thanks👍

6 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Nav1, Now is the time for your spouse to start a Travel Journal. You can record all of your trips and adventures. My DW has one from the very first time we got into the coach to bring it home. After many trips it is a good reference to refer back to when you need to find that great RV Park and to bypass those bad ones. Our journal is over 200 typed pages and still growing.

Have fun, enjoy and don't be a stranger.

Herman 

Thank you Herman,

I do keep notes on just about anything and everything that I do with the MH and for sure will keep posting and updating on all our travels.

Take care my friend...🚍

14 hours ago, navigator1 said:

They live close to the airport, FTW and by looking at the map, I can see that there's a few places around that area.

Now is  it Alliance airport or  the Dallas Fort Worth airport? 

Hearer is a good place by the DFW airport. https://www.vineyardscampground.com/

This one is a little further out up I-35W by the race track. https://www.northlakevillagerv.com/ 

On 1/13/2022 at 5:06 PM, wildebill308 said:

Now is  it Alliance airport or  the Dallas Fort Worth airport? 

Hearer is a good place by the DFW airport. https://www.vineyardscampground.com/

This one is a little further out up I-35W by the race track. https://www.northlakevillagerv.com/ 

Is the FW Mecham International Airport and Eagles Resorts RV Storage is the closest Park to them.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, manholt said:

Eagles is the closest to FW Mecham International.

Navigator 1, I'm 37 miles from Ft. Hood.

Yeah and my one nephew lives about 15 minutes from Hood too.